A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Student & Preservice Teachers

Old 03-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Comrade

Virginia
Special Education Teacher
Quit student teaching?

ok... my situation sucks.lol. My CT is very, very controlling. I want a new placement, because I think she doesn't like me at all. I am going to talk to my school about being switched. I need a new placement. ASAP. Because I fear that my CT won't give a good reference for employment? Do you think I should trust my gut? And go for a second placement?

Old 03-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Companion

New York
How long have you been in the classroom with her? I did my student teaching at one of the schools I grew up in, and I was mortified that I was placed with the one teacher I didn't want to work with. I cried the first few days but we would up developing a nice relationship, and she had some really sweet things to say about me to my supervisor. Unfortunately, while I did learn some things, I realize that compared to many, my student teaching placements were far from ideal.

I say to switch out if this is the only student teaching experience you will have (usually there is a grade switch). Think about whether you can learn from observing her and being in her classroom. Even though she is hesitant to release control to you, is she a great teacher? There are teachers whose classrooms I would LOVE to observe, simply because they have such fantastic ideas and classroom management. If that is the case, maybe it is worth it to stick it out. If you feel that there is nothing to gain, ask your supervisor if you can be placed with another teacher.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Multitudinous

What will you do when you work with a principal who is very controlling? Are you going to quit then, too? If so, I'll tell you that you're going to have a rough time maintaining any sort of permanent teaching position.

Stick it out. Find a way to work through your troubles. Be humble, try to learn something, and remind yourself that it's only temporary.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Have you had that heart to heart conversation with your CT?
Old 03-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Guru

It would have be a very serious, dramatic situation for me to ask for another placement. Very serious.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Groupie

California
Unless she has informed you that she wants to replace you, I would stick it out. meet with her and address your concerns. I am sure she might be like this with all student teachers.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Phenom

Disney country
Retired and sleeping late!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
What will you do when you work with a principal who is very controlling? Are you going to quit then, too? If so, I'll tell you that you're going to have a rough time maintaining any sort of permanent teaching position.

Stick it out. Find a way to work through your troubles. Be humble, try to learn something, and remind yourself that it's only temporary.
This.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher girl View Post
ok... my situation sucks.lol. My CT is very, very controlling. I want a new placement, because I think she doesn't like me at all. I am going to talk to my school about being switched. I need a new placement. ASAP. Because I fear that my CT won't give a good reference for employment? Do you think I should trust my gut? And go for a second placement?
I am sorry to hear about your ST challenges. My ST experience on a scale of 1 to 10 was a 10 with the students (they were the best) and a -1 with my CT, so I can empathize.

Controlling or not liking you, I don't think it is enough of a reason to leave. I would stay, but talk to your school about the situation. I would only leave if the school says that absolutely it is the best thing for you.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
I would have a conversation with your university supervisor and see what they recommend. I'm am also opposed to you quitting, but your supervisor will understand your situation a bit better than we can here.

Tags
quit, student, teaching