A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 02-26-2013, 01:36 AM
Rookie

SC, USA
Kinder ASL w. BGC of America
If you were their teacher, what would you like to see?

We were recently switched around in our after school groups. Everyone has shifted around. There are 2 Kindergarten groups that really is one big Kindergarten group split in half. I was with one group and now I'm with the other. We are required to now restructure the way we do things (which isn't a problem of course, I agree we did all get off schedule last half of the year).

Anyways. I'm curious.
We have a 30 minute area of time where Kinder is either doing homework or they are doing some type of activity. Teachers are usually gone by this time so I don't really get to ask them. So I'm asking you all... What would you ask me to do in the 30 minute time period if you were the Kinder teacher? Would you like me to do something related to their lessons? Practice certain skills? Etc.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:00 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
My initial thoughts are the these 5/6 year olds have just had a day full of lessons, they are probably exhausted from their day and need some play time. Not sure how much homework the teachers are giving, but I know we don't give any.

If you want to practice some skills in a very fun and motivating way, you could always work on letters and sounds, sight words, recognizing numbers 0-20 or counting to 100. You may want to grab a copy of the kindergarten common core standards to see what you can reinforce with the students.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:00 AM
Comrade

Florida
3rd Grade Teacher
Jack Hartman songs! Movement! Fun activities. Nothing that requires them sitting any longer. They sit enough during the actual school day.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Fanatic

It would be great if you could work on listening skills, attention skills and self-help skills for those that still struggle.

Simon says and those type games are great for building attention. Fine motor skills are essential to self-help skills such as tying shoes and zipping coats. It also helps for handwriting.

Games to reinforce counting, numbers, letter sounds, etc that include listening skills is helpful.

Tags
teacher