A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 02-18-2013, 12:33 AM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
What if I don't look for a job...

I'm contemplating this as an option for next year. I'm thinking I could spend the time subbing, which would still be a substantial increase in income. That way I could bang out my thesis. I finished all the coursework for my graduate degree 3 years ago, but didn't get my thesis done in the allotted time. I took a year off and then went to get my teaching credential. Now I'm done with the credential but I'm taking literature classes and don't have time. I figure if I sub 3 days a week this fall, I can focus on writing twice weekly. I'd also like to get involved with the theatre again. Apart from a student production during grad school, I haven't been in a show for almost 9 years!

Pros:
-get thesis done
-gain classroom experience
-maybe rekindle my passion for performance

Cons:
-Each semester more graduates further saturate the job pool
-Prolonging BTSA (teacher induction program), which would also prolong my stay in Cali
-No health insurance
-Will have to ask for new letters of rec when I start applying for jobs.

What would you do?

Old 02-18-2013, 12:43 AM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
I think you have to really decide what's best for you, but personally I'd look for a job. From what I understand the market in California is extremely tough. I'd be worried about who I'd get letters of rec from if I was a daily sub (who sees you enough/long enough?) Health insurance would also be a big motivator for me. Given how tough the market is, you may not find one the first year out anyway, so if that happens then you can see the "silver lining" and do the subbing and other things you mentioned. I wouldn't want to give up a whole year of searching and then be wondering "what if" if I couldn't find anything in future years. I think at least applying/interviewing would give you some good experience for how to job search in the future too. My resume/cover letter/interview skills were SO much better the 2nd time around after I'd had some experience with what employers are looking for.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:43 AM
Devotee

New York
MS Math&Theatre, Community Theatre
This is a toughie but I'm totally biased and cringed at the 9 years bit... so I say finish your thesis.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 AM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
This BTSA thing is really ****ing me over too. There are NO jobs here at public schools which we NEED for BTSA and to clear our credential. I literally had an anxiety attack tonight looking at Edjoin. For the love of god will some English teachers PLEASE retire already?!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:00 AM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
Great food for thought. I did consider applying anyway, it's kinda arrogant to assume I'll definitely find something.

And yes Mike, I cringe myself at 9 years. I thought going to grad school for Theatre Ed would be enough to satiate me. No such luck.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:07 AM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcaligirl1985 View Post
This BTSA thing is really ****ing me over too. There are NO jobs here at public schools which we NEED for BTSA and to clear our credential. I literally had an anxiety attack tonight looking at Edjoin. For the love of god will some English teachers PLEASE retire already?!
I know.. so many math and science positions on EdJoin in the past week. You know Long Beach has a program that will let you complete the program. It's free, but unpaid, and you can't really sub unless you manage to do a half day.

Are you only looking in OC?
Old 02-18-2013, 02:37 AM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartDrama View Post
I know.. so many math and science positions on EdJoin in the past week. You know Long Beach has a program that will let you complete the program. It's free, but unpaid, and you can't really sub unless you manage to do a half day.

Are you only looking in OC?
I am looking in OC, LA, Riverside--i cant really go further with my grandparents needing medical care.

Where to I complete the BTSA program for free in Long Beach--and does this clear my credential so I can move elsewhere?
Old 02-18-2013, 02:39 AM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
Yes, it's clear. I have the info around here somewhere. I'll try to find it and will inbox you the info.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
There is nothing that says you can't sub but occasionally apply for full-time jobs that really excite you. In truth, that's how it tends to work while you gain practical experience.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Aficionado

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
Can you do all three? Looking for jobs is not full time. You look for jobs, apply, and when there is an interview, you go Subbing is also flexible, you can work whenever you want. In the meanwhile you can focus on your thesis.

Don't think of it as not looking for a job, it's kind of a waste not applying for a job, because you want to focus on your thesis. I did my thesis during student teaching, and was able to do it without getting stressed out.

There is a big chance you might end up subbing for a year or 2, (although you might get a job right away, but you won't know unless you apply), so it helps not to expect to work as a teacher right away.

I've been subbing for 2 years, and I haven't really applied for any jobs up until now. I think this was partially because I didn't have any experience, and I knew if I was up against teachers with 5-10 years of teaching, I wouldn't even have a chance, so I didn't even try. And I was working at the lock ups all this time and I've really enjoyed it (and I was in a LTS for 8 months). But now I realize that I want to work specifically with at-risk students, and I feel that I have enough experience (2 years) so I'm going for any job I see, that is working with at-risk kids. And I feel that I have a better chance.

Subbing gives you experience, but you might also learn about your preferences more.

Tags
job