A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Novice

NE, USA
High School Teacher
Too sensitive and boring to be a teacher?

Okay, so I have struggled this past year not having a teaching job. While I have consistently subbed for a lot of districts (no lts gigs though) I still feel like i'm just doing something wrong and will never get hired, which scares me as a 23 year old man who wants to settle down and have a nice life, not be some bum who works minimum wage.

Anyway, I wonder if the problem is if i'm too sensitive. Not sensitive in the sense that I'm in touch with my feelings, but sensitive to criticism and people not liking me. In my student teaching I was at a tough school where most of the kids are lower income and it is about 3/5's hispanic (its a rural meat packing community). Anyway, while some classes went well, quite a few were disasters. Anyway, sometimes I just couldn't handle when kids were misbehaving and out of line. I even got so mad that once I left the room, found my CT and said I was too emotional to continue or else i'd end up breaking down.
It wasn't just the students either. Whenever i'd get criticised by my CT's i would cry and what made it worse was that I felt like I was a terrible teacher, and a terrible man for being such a big fat crybaby and of course I'd bawl and complain at home as well and i would just feel worse and worse.

Anyway, I think a lot of it stems from the fact not only that I hate criticism, but due to being heavily bullied and made fun of in school, I hate being criticized and feel that people who criticize me think i'm a loser and a bad person and I take it too personally. Of course what makes it worse is that when its really bad I get angry and yell or say mean things, but I feel worse.

Anyway, am I just too sensitive to be a teacher? I wonder if I just am unable to handle criticism in a school environment from colleagues or students. I feel terrible about it because i'm such a big baby, but I feel helpless and can't do anything about it

It sucks too because I love my subject (social studies) and I feel that is my strength, but I lack in a lot of areas, or at least am not confident in these areas. I want to get a teaching job just because I want to see how it goes and show that I can do it, but anymore I wonder if I really can. So am I just too sensitive?

Old 02-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I think it might be a problem. You will be observed and evaluated all the time, and your principal won't sugar coat things.

The bigger problem is that if you teach middle school or high school age kids, they won't be nice just to spare your feelings, in fact they are just so good at sniffing out everyone's weaknesses. They use that to get their way, or just to have some fun. For them, it's more fun to watch a teacher get off topic, get upset, frustrated, etc. than to pay attention and work hard.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Cohort

Pa.
7th/8th Grade teacher
You have to grow a thick skin in this profession because you will get criticized from all quarters.

Social Studies positions are notoriously hard to get. Maybe that's the reason.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Novice

NE, USA
High School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguist92021 View Post
I think it might be a problem. You will be observed and evaluated all the time, and your principal won't sugar coat things.

The bigger problem is that if you teach middle school or high school age kids, they won't be nice just to spare your feelings, in fact they are just so good at sniffing out everyone's weaknesses. They use that to get their way, or just to have some fun. For them, it's more fun to watch a teacher get off topic, get upset, frustrated, etc. than to pay attention and work hard.
Maybe that's why i shouldn't teach. Much like teachers, the kids in my class would do that to me when I was in school. I had thin skin and I just couldn't handle it. Of course I'd cry or i'd simply get so angry I'd fight them. Of course I wouldn't beat or fight my students, but i'm worried I'd yell at them. Its just so tough though not to at least get a little upset for me. I guess I'm the type of person who thinks people should be nice and get respect no matter who they are. I don't think I should because i'm entitled, but because its just common courtesy. Maybe i'm just too idealistic or naive to teach, or do anything for that matter (granted my grocery store job is going well, but I don't mind criticism there, its not really opinion based, which sadly teaching can be)

And to reply to Milsey. Yes social studies is hard. I know that is why I can't get a job. its hard to get in. I'm just saying that my sensitivity makes it extra hard
Old 02-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
You have REALLY got to get some thick skin othewise you won't be able to make it an ANY job, let alone teaching. What do you think is going to happen if your boss tells you that you didn't do something right and it needs to be fixed pronto. Are you going to cry then? You simply cannot do that. You're a grown man. It's alright to be sensitive, but you're an adult and you've gotta suck some things up.

If you were not qualified or meant to be a teacher, you wouldn't have made it through your student teaching, but you did. You CAN do this.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
If it makes you feel any better, I used to cry a LOT when I was starting to teach. It was mentally exhausting and not always emotionally rewarding. Some days it was like herding cats who know there's a giant bowl of cream on the other side of the door, and I was the meany making them stay with me.

That thicker skin comes with time and trial. Journal about your days and reflect on them. You will slowly see that growth that you might not notice from day to day. Stick with AtoZ as a group of virtual mentors (I don't think I could have made it through the past several years without the counsel I get here). Most of all, when you feel like you're drowning, remember to lie back, point your feet, and go with the flow.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:57 PM
Enthusiast

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcaligirl1985 View Post
You have REALLY got to get some thick skin othewise you won't be able to make it an ANY job, let alone teaching.
Oh yes--this is true.

Case in point: Back when I worked for a bank (I worked there for five years), we had a regional manager who would come to our branch and humiliate tellers in front of customers. He was quite a bully. There was one instance where he was standing behind me while I was waiting on a customer. He interrupted my conversation with the customer and said, "Okay, it's time for you to stop jabbering and assist the next customer." I smiled at the customer, nodded and smiled at the regional manager, and wrapped up my conversation. Was I livid? Yes! Was I demeaned? Absolutely. Did I hold it together? You bet!

Later that day, I spoke to him in the break room and let him know that it was NOT okay for him to embarrass me in front of customers! He really seemed shocked that I stood up to him. He pretty much left me alone throughout the rest of my years with the bank!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Seconding all the advice that you really do need to build up a tough outer layer.

What I do depends on who is doing the criticizing (if it is criticism).

If it is a senior or a boss or even a peer, I think about their motivation for the criticism. Are they really just trying to give me advice and help me out? If so, then I would be thankful for it. If not then I'll probably just think they're an arsehole.

If it is a kid, first, I think if it is really constructive criticism (it generally isn't when it's coming from kids), and then I think about how goofy and awkward they must feel being a 13 year old and going through puberty and probably getting dumped by all of the girls they like, and feeling horrible for getting poor grades because they're trying to get their act together. If they have a tough home life, I might think about that a bit, but mostly I just think about how glad I am to not be them, and how awkward and hurt I COULD make them feel if I mentioned even one zit on their nose.

That puts things into perspective, and it just makes me laugh that this 13 year old prepubescent teenager even thought that they could force me to feel insecure about myself.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:03 AM
Multitudinous

Thick skin is a must for teachers, but just because you might not have it now doesn't mean that you can't grow it. I find that most of our experiences in life are shaped by how we respond to them. If we choose to not let something get to us, then it won't. It really is as simple as that.

I consider myself fairly sensitive in my day-to-day life. At school, though, I try to be like a duck and let everything roll off my back. I'm successful most of the time. Every now and then something really gets to me. As I type this, I'm thinking of one comment that a student made to me once. I know that she didn't mean to hurt my feelings, but it really got to me, mostly because it was said at a time when I was experiencing something traumatic in my personal life. It felt like her comment was like a knife piercing the exact spot where I was hurting. I cried after school that day, and that's not something that I do very often. That doesn't make me unfit to be a teacher; it just makes me human.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:11 AM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin5 View Post
I think about how goofy and awkward they must feel being a 13 year old and going through puberty and probably getting dumped by all of the girls they like, and feeling horrible for getting poor grades because they're trying to get their act together. If they have a tough home life, I might think about that a bit, but mostly I just think about how glad I am to not be them, and how awkward and hurt I COULD make them feel if I mentioned even one zit on their nose.

That puts things into perspective, and it just makes me laugh that this 13 year old prepubescent teenager even thought that they could force me to feel insecure about myself.
I love this. This will certainly keep me from snapping when I know I should not!

Tags
boring, sensitive, teacher