A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Special Education

Old 02-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Habitué

Midwest
Second Grade
Why does everyone think I have a magic wand?

Long story short, I have a student identified with SLD in reading and writing who has suddenly taken a nosedive into a slew of repeated behavior issues. Although he does not have a history of behavior problems, he's been suspended four days this month. I've been approached by the principal and all three school counselors about re-testing him to see if he might meet the criteria for ED. I keep telling him that we need to see these behaviors over an an extended period of time and not just in the past month... that this boy is screaming "crisis!" and not ED. I guess they didn't like my answer because they went and asked another sped teacher who told them the exact same thing. I think what irritates me the most is that they think that by labeling him ED all the problems will be solved (hence the reference to the magic wand). Even if we did test, and even if he did show up as ED, he'd still have all the same behaviors, and we'd still have to find a way to deal! Adding a label is not a solution, it's not even a band-aid.

Can anyone relate? Any advice for how to address this situation?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
It sounds like your administration is looking for a way to pass the problem. Even if he still has the same behaviors, you will be the one dealing with the consequences and working to find a solution (not them).

My administration works vary similarly, except they don't wait for a student to have an IEP to involve the special education team.

Do you have a school counselor?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Habitué

Midwest
Second Grade
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar View Post
Do you have a school counselor?
Yes, we have three (well, technically 2.5). And, all three of them have suggested the idea of re-testing.

Thankfully, the counselor for his grade-level has already been very involved. She's suggested community counseling resources to the student's mother, and she also recommended a psychologist. The student's mom is really trying to remedy this situation. She has scheduled an appointment with the psychologist for next week and is keeping in contact with the school. I suggested to the counselors and principal that, at the very least, we wait to hear what the psychologist has to say before proceeding with more testing. I still firmly believe, however, that this is a crisis situation and not an indicator of ED.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Habitué

I said this exact same thing the other day. The same exact words. It can be so frustrating, can't it?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I'm glad that your counselor is involved and working with the student. I would just keep stressing that you need documentation over a period of time to proceed with the testing. Maybe even find the wording in the state law about this.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Aficionado

USA
I can definitely relate bella84, and it sounds like one of two (or both) things may be at play - either 1) folks thing a label fixes a problem (which you've explained doesn't), or 2) there are services available for ED that aren't for LD. Legally, the IEP should follow the behaviors, so once through the "gate" of special education any and all services should be available. So, an child identified as LD should be able to be serve in an ED classroom if that setting best meets his needs. However, many districts set it up so that a child can only attend a certain class/program (which, as I think mopar mentioned, also might be at a different school and hence a different admin's problem) if the child has a particular designation.

I suppose either way if they want to test let the psychologist respond to that. An ED eval would mostly come from the psychologist anyway, and if the psychologist is competent wouldn't advocate for an ED label based on behaviors a couple weeks old.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:22 AM
Aficionado

New Jersey, US
Looking for a job
In order for most EDs to be diagnosed, don't the behaviors have to go on for a period exceeding six months?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:33 AM
Aficionado

USA
"Emotional disturbance means a condition exhibiting one or more of the following characteristics over a long period of time and to a marked degree that adversely affects a child's educational performance"

Each state can define "long"
Old 02-14-2013, 05:02 AM
Habitué

Midwest
Second Grade
Unfortunately, if they want to test, it will be on me. The psychologist doesn't work for our school; he's an outside provider. I'll be the one doing the testing, if they decide to go that route.

Another unfortunate thing is that our district does not offer self-contained settings. It's all resource, with one room for students learning life skills, but even those kids are included in gen. ed. That sounds good in theory, but some kids would really be better served in a self-contained setting. I guess my point is that, even if he were to be labeled ED, the only additional service we'd prob give him is social skills for another half hour per day. It's doubtful that would help much.

And also, my district is one of those districts that only gives services for the areas in which a student qualifies. For example, if a student is LD in reading only, they don't get math services, even if they struggle. It wasn't always this way, but it is now.

Thanks for your input! And thanks for providing that definition. I'm glad to know that I'm on the right track with what I've told them.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Aficionado

???? A kid doesn't need an ED label to get social skills services. Related services aren't to be limited by the label. Once a child gets an IEP all needs are supposed to be considered regardless of the label.

Tags
magic, wand