A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Comrade

Note Taking for IEP Kids

I have 4 IEP kids who are unable to keep up my with my notes. I want to accommodate them somehow. I've tried Close notes before but there are certain times when we take notes that are unpredictable. For instance, I read the book A Wrinkle in Time as a read-aloud. Now we're watching the movie in segments and stopping at intervals to talk about what's the same and different using a t-chart, later to be placed into a double bubble map, then a compare contrast activity, then writing. The students come up with everything and I record on the board and they copy in their notes to later refer to. The issue is that my IEP kids not only cannot keep up (2 have fine motor issues) but they can't copy accurately. This is not an activity that I can do close notes with for obvious reasons. I want to do right by them but just don't know what. I could always take someone else's notes and make a copy for them I suppose, but then they're just sitting there not engaged. Also, I certainly don't want to single them out before their classmates by having them just sit there.

I'd also like other suggestions in place of close notes if anyone has any!

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I always held my special education students for writing down some of the notes. They are practicing a skill that they haven't mastered yet. Then I would provide them with a copy of my notes (really easy if you write on a Smartboard). You can also take a photo of the board and print it for them. Copying another student's notes is great too, especially if someone else loses their notes or is absent.

I would set a goal and give it to them on a post-it note. Maybe you have them write down 3 similarities and 3 differences. Or maybe you have the expectation that they need to participate 3 times to count as their notes.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Devotee

The Deep South
Special Education Teacher
Have them take notes like everyone else. Then give them a copy of the notes. If they're print disabled or can't copy from the board it's a good accommodation.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Aficionado

Another student with carbon paper works well ( or 4 in your case). Smart board can print if you have one. Keep your slides and photo copy if that is acceptable at your school. I know some schools have tight limits on pages copied.

I'd be careful about making a student take notes because it is a skill they haven't mastered or just to make them accountable. Students that really struggle with fine motor issues or other processing issues that interfere with their ability to form letters or copy properly will not be able to listen, think and copy at the same time. It will also raise their anxiety about getting everything down when they aren't capable of doing so. Therefore, making them copy to be accountable actually causes them to not be able to access the curriculum.

However, I would keep them heavily involved in the discussions while keeping in mind that some may need some advanced warning they will be called on. Some may need some think time. While others may be copying down what is on the overhead or the board, it would be a great time to let the student know you would like an attempt at an answer. Then when you pick up, they will have their think time and be able to participate.

Any student that has issues with writing should either have services to improve writing or services to teach the student to use assistive technology. Some students will always need to have notes provided.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar View Post
I always held my special education students for writing down some of the notes. They are practicing a skill that they haven't mastered yet. Then I would provide them with a copy of my notes (really easy if you write on a Smartboard). You can also take a photo of the board and print it for them. Copying another student's notes is great too, especially if someone else loses their notes or is absent.

I would set a goal and give it to them on a post-it note. Maybe you have them write down 3 similarities and 3 differences. Or maybe you have the expectation that they need to participate 3 times to count as their notes.
We do not have Smart Boards, unfortunately. I know that would make it so much easier!
If I took a picture I would have to make it an 8x10 for it to be large enough to read. Then I'd have to go to WalGreens to pay to have it printed. While it's a good idea, it's too much work I feel.
I like the idea of the 3 notes using post-its.

I wish it were easy to get small laptops for them to use.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Multitudinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbloom View Post
We do not have Smart Boards, unfortunately. I know that would make it so much easier!
If I took a picture I would have to make it an 8x10 for it to be large enough to read. Then I'd have to go to WalGreens to pay to have it printed. While it's a good idea, it's too much work I feel.
I like the idea of the 3 notes using post-its.

I wish it were easy to get small laptops for them to use.
Do you have a cell phone? It's pretty easy to take a picture with your cell phone, send it to yourself (or post it to your Edmodo page), save it to your computer, and print it. You can usually manipulate the size using most basic photo editing software, even the stuff that's probably already installed on your computer. I do this fairly frequently--take a picture of stuff on the board, upload it to my class Edmodo page for my students, and go about my day.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post

Do you have a cell phone? It's pretty easy to take a picture with your cell phone, send it to yourself (or post it to your Edmodo page), save it to your computer, and print it. You can usually manipulate the size using most basic photo editing software, even the stuff that's probably already installed on your computer. I do this fairly frequently--take a picture of stuff on the board, upload it to my class Edmodo page for my students, and go about my day.
I do, and I would take a pic with my cell. But the ink to print? Our school printers are only black and white and we're limited to 1 ink cartridge a year. I don't want to use my at-home printer.

I have Edmodo but we don't use it in 3rd grade.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Multitudinous

Nothing wrong with black and white notes. If you need to spend a minute or two highlighting parts in color, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

You may not have Edmodo for your kids, but it can still be useful because it's so easy to get photos from your phone to your school computer.

You don't have to like my suggestion, that's okay. I just gave what I felt was a really easy solution to a pretty common problem.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
Nothing wrong with black and white notes. If you need to spend a minute or two highlighting parts in color, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

You may not have Edmodo for your kids, but it can still be useful because it's so easy to get photos from your phone to your school computer.

You don't have to like my suggestion, that's okay. I just gave what I felt was a really easy solution to a pretty common problem.
Oh no, I hope my answer didn't come off as ungrateful! I really didnt mean for it to if so. I welcome all suggestions! Was just voicing some barriers. I like the picture idea, as it does seem the simplest but am concerned of ink since our school is so strict. I wonder if they would consider allowing me to print elsewhere (which we'be been told no to in the past but I'm not above trying).

As for Edmodo, I could upload to have the students access it for particular assignments.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Can your special education teacher print the notes if you send them to her/him? If it's an accommodation in an IEP, then maybe this can save you the ink and paper.

Tags
iep, kids, note, taking