A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Newcomer

al
ABEKA vs. Reading Streets

Hi - Ok, I'm not a teacher, but I am a 45 year old mother to a pretty intelligent child (not my words) as his principle just said (oh wait, he said smart as a whip), so - I am trying to learn more about the programs the different schools offer and what teacher's opinions are concerning the programs. He was in the Abeka program at the last school he was at (ages 1 to 3), but the principal refused to move him up to another class b/c of his age and he was running amuck and his teacher was in tears, I asked them to move him, they did not and then they kicked him out b/c he was unruly (forgive my misspellings, I am on a computer most of the day and it has spell check . The principe of that school told me that I needed to get him psyhcologically tested/evaluated for his behavior. My child is not crazy, nor does he have an social disorder. So, I moved him to a new school (the one he is currently at) and he is doing well. My child turned 4 in mid-December, he writes, counts past a 100, knows the names of more shapes than I do - knows 15 or so Presidents (they started with George Washington) and a funny fact about each one of them, he puts 9+ year old Lego sets together and don't even bother getting him anything under 400 piecess b/c that only keeps him busy for about 1.5 hours. He knows more about my IPhone 5 than I do - and you can actually have an intelligent conversation with a four year old, alot of kids in his class are still baby talking some. These are just a couple examples and please, I am not trying to brag b/c I know that every parent thinks their child is smart, I am just saying what others have repeated to me. So, my dilemma is -he is in an advanced class at a school/daycare and the teacher wants to move him up to pre-k now as opposed to August (the principle I talked to today claims that the pre-k class is using Abeka kindergarden curriculum and the kindergarden class is reading at second grade level). Right now, he does come home with a lot of sheets of paper (Abeka program) that are clearly too easy for him as I have only ever found one mistake the entire time he has been doing these "form" sheets, his writing skills are getting pretty darn good I believe for his age. So, there is a private school starting up new Pre-K program and they will be using Reading Streets. My question is - how good is the Reading Streets program. My child's mind has to be constantly filled with challenged and knowledge......if not, well, let's just say he is not a child you want bored! I could go on and on here, but I am trying to find out what will be the best for my child. I will have a meeting with the directors at the private school on the 15th - I should bring my son....now that's an idea and see what he thinks about it. I will say that my son does have meltdowns when he is "working" on a project or a lego set when it is time to go to bed. Not because it's time to go to bed, but because his project is incomplete -what is up with that? He cleans his rooms, sets the table, helps me cook, will feed himself on the weekends if I actually get to sleep in til 7:00 But what do you all think? I believe he is bored in his advanced class, pre-K doesn't start until August - also, another advantage for us is that if he went to the private school, it is on our way to work, and it does not cost anymore than what we are already paying now. And....he will finally go to church on a regular basis
What do I do, I am already teaching him math at home...I give him an intelligent answer for every single one of his questions, not just something just thrown together. If I have to, I come to work and look it up and then figure out how to explain it. One question about a year ago, when he alittle over 3 years old. Mommy, why does the sun come out here and go down over there. Hmmm... 3 year old answer I'm guessing, but I gave it to him straight. I said, sweetie, it just looks like the sun is coming up here in the east and going down over there in the west behind our hosue because we are actually moving around the sun - he is quiet for a minute, then says, well how do we do that - OK, how do you explain all of that to a 3 year old? This morning's question to school was easy - what is fog mommy - I had that one down pat. Anyhow, since I am an old mommy and my mom has died and things have changed so much from when I was little - any help would be appreciated, especially the pros and cons of each program - thank you all so very mucy!

Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Comrade

KY
Preschool Teacher
How is his interaction with other children his age?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Newcomer

al
He does well most of the time. He will share quite willingly, but others will not share with him and that upsets him sometimes as he does like to play with the toys instead of doing work sheets all day long. Also, he is more of a leader than a follower. I was reading the abeca curriculum and the advanced class he is in is already doing some of the pre-k lessons, but he is bored...he is starting not to finish his sheets b/c he says that he's already done them a 100 times already. Can't blame him, it does look like the same stuff over and over again. How many times do you ask a kid to draw a line from the number 5 to five objects (whatever they may be)? If seems like the Reading Streets may be alittle more advanced and creative, but am still trying to research the program, curriculum and ideas presented. What do you think? I personnally think he needs to talk to a teacher...I just have never met a 3 year old and now 4 year old that can have a perfectly intelligent conversation with an adult - but that may be because we are old farts and we do talk about things. this summer we are going to lay in the grass and I will start telling him the "stories" about all the different constellations, will see if I can get a telescope as well, that will be fun after a day at the pool (I put him in the infant swimming resource ISR) class when he was 18 months old - every year it takes just a little while to get used to it again - but he started swimming better last year, but would float! He loves older kids, as that is what he is mostly exposed to except for school......
Old 03-12-2013, 05:28 AM
Comrade

Pre-K
I have experience in both curriculums and i was wondering which you choose.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:49 AM
Enthusiast

Louisiana
I have also used both. I know you don't want your son tested for any kind of social or emotional disorder, but another option may be to have him tested for gifted. He could begin receiving services in kindergarten, at a public school, which would be cheaper than a private school. My experiences with Abeka were that it was not developmentally appropriate, and with Reading Street was that it did not focus on pre-reading skills enough, but a lot of that has to do with implementation of the curriculum, as well. I would try to find a school where he will be academically challenged and nurtured, and not worry about what brand the curriculum is. Ask to visit the classrooms and see how the teachers interact with the students.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
I teach a Transitional first class...your son sounds like almost all of the kids in my classroom. I do use the Reading Street Series, but it is too easy for my kids. I supplement with a lot of science and scientific books. My kids are learning fractions this week. We learned about stages of matter last week. The week before that, we did experiments with teeth and learned about dental hygiene. I don't think the program matters if the teacher isn't going to enhance it.

Tags
abeka, reading, streets