A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Newcomer

Boston, MA, USA
"Constant" Long-Term Substitute
Becoming Discouraged in Job Search

I am 29 years old and have been working as a Teaching Assistant in the Special Education Department at the same school for 4 years now. I have my Masters Degree from Simmons College and am licensed to teach both Social Studies and Science at the Middle School level.

Even though I have had two stints as a long-term substitute, covering for leaves of absence (one social studies, and one science); I am beginning to fear that I will not get a full-time teaching position.

I feel that I may just be passed over as more and more younger candidates flood the "market" behind me... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening to me vent...

Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Fanatic

PA
5th grade teacher
I don't really have any specific advice, but I wanted to let you know that I was 35 when I started teaching. The year I started my department hired three people and of the three I was the youngest, the other two were in their 40s or 50s. The person hired before me was also in her 40s. At my current school our new music teacher is in her 30s and the teacher that was hired to replace a third grade teacher who quit is in her 30s. We had one new staff member this fall and she is in her 20s. So, what I am getting at is that at least in my experience, you being 29 shouldn't matter at all, and based on my district it actually puts you on the young end of the scale.

Keep looking, look in as broad of an area as possible, and do the very best job in any LTS position you're able to get. Good luck to you.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
I am 29 years old and have been working as a Teaching Assistant in the Special Education Department at the same school for 4 years now. I have my Masters Degree from Simmons College and am licensed to teach both Social Studies and Science at the Middle School level.

Even though I have had two stints as a long-term substitute, covering for leaves of absence (one social studies, and one science); I am beginning to fear that I will not get a full-time teaching position.

I feel that I may just be passed over as more and more younger candidates flood the "market" behind me... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening to me vent...
Your age is perfect! Principals love teachers who have a few years under their belt whether it is in education or elsewhere. There are so many teachers in their early 20s (at least where I teach) that P's like late 20s and early 30s a lot when they get a chance to interview them.

There is a lot you can do to help get hired. I went to every school in many districts knocking on doors, meeting principals, dropping off resumes and letters of recommendation to get hired. Interesting that 90% of the schools that interviewed me were these schools where I did this and the others where I only put an application gave few calls. The extra effort works, although I know it is time consuming. It is February so no time to worry yet. The three times I got hired for teaching jobs 2 were in June and the other in early July.

Good luck to you!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
You didn't describe your job searches, but my advice would be to cast as wides net as possible. In March or April, send your package to EVERY public, private and harder school within a reasonable commute distance, regardless of whether openings are posted. Wouldn't hurt between now and then to polish up your resume and tweak your cover...members here are very helpful in that area.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Cohort

la,ca
I am almost twice your age and the job market right now is tough for everyone. Stay encouraged. Something will eventually turn up.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowKey View Post

This is a joke right? First I see something about being too old at 28 to teach... then a 29-year old talking about being passed over by younger candidates???

I'm not trying to be mean here, but are these sincere posts?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Novice

Music Teacher
I'm 29. It took me three years of subbing to get hired. It's just a terrible job market. Apply everywhere. You may get a job at a terrible school (I sure did), but full pay plus bennies is better than scraping the poverty line and not even knowing what school/subject/grade you'll be doing the next day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lee View Post
This is a joke right? First I see something about being too old at 28 to teach... then a 29-year old talking about being passed over by younger candidates???

I'm not trying to be mean here, but are these sincere posts?
I don't understand the 28 being too old to teach, but this year I'm the second oldest new hire (I was the oldest until last month with a mid-year hire). I'm older than probably 75% of the faculty and almost every member of the office staff. Many of the jobs I applied for were filled by 22-24 year old recent graduates. While it may not be old in the long run, this age can make it seem like you're a grandpa when every other teacher in your building is 4-8 years younger.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Rookie

Oregon
Subbing/Job Searching (Secondary)
In regard to the discussions of age going on in this thread and others...I'm also 29. Every age group has some attendant advantages and disadvantages in the job market, of course, and it probably does no good to think about this stuff anyway. But I'll admit I do think about it, especially because most of our district's recent hires are, indeed, either 22 or in their late 30s at least.

One problem I think a lot of our age cohort has is that by the late 20s we've just barely hit the point, age-wise, where candidates for a job start to really be judged by having a work history that shows solidity and progressive accomplishments, whether in another field or the same field. By that measure older candidates will almost always eclipse us, of course. That's often doubly true at the moment, given the fact that those of us in our late 20s, if we went to college at traditional age, chose our undergraduate majors and got all the way through college during one kind of economy/job market, but have been operating in a very different one ever since. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person my age whose post-college work history is a spotty-looking stew of part-time, low-level, temp office jobs, substituting, and so on. I can't sell myself on my limitless potential and academic record like I'm 22 (or I can try, but it looks increasingly silly) and I know the fact that I've never had a full-time job that wasn't a temp assignment looks bad, particularly next to all the experienced candidates and career changers. That's just me, of course, and in retrospect I can see I've made some career-strategy mistakes in the past several years for which I will accept blame, but it's still frustrating, and I empathize with those who are similarly struggling. Unfortunately, I also think that for those of us that are female, the fact that we're now in a prime age group for exiting from the workforce (i.e., babies) is in the back of a lot of people's minds as well, and will be for the next few years at least.

Tags
advice or encouragement, discouraged, frusterated, job, job hunt, job seekers, resume help, search