A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
I start my new job tomorrow...

...and I'm very nervous!

The teacher I'm taking over for is leaving because her husband got a job elsewhere. Right now I'm only there for two weeks until they decide what to do. I'm HOPING I can get on for the entire year. I don't think it's fair to have the kids--who are already used to their teacher start adjusting to me only to lose me in two weeks! I have no idea how to make it known that I _want_ this job for the long haul without sounding pushy or aggressive. Advice would be lovely.

In any case, for the next two weeks these 7th, 8th and 10th graders are mine and I'm SUPER excited. I've worked with all these kids before and I just adore them.

I think I'm too excited to sleep tonight.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
good luck! good subs often get jobs at my school...so do your best!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
Good luck!!
I'm sure someone will come in to observe you once or twice if they're thinking about keeping you, so make sure you bring your A-game everyday.
Whenever the opportunity is there, mention that you would like to stay in this assignment through the year - I don't think that wold be aggressive at all.
Or maybe you could even talk to the P and let him know.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguist92021 View Post
Good luck!!
I'm sure someone will come in to observe you once or twice if they're thinking about keeping you, so make sure you bring your A-game everyday.
Whenever the opportunity is there, mention that you would like to stay in this assignment through the year - I don't think that wold be aggressive at all.
During my prep period for the next few days I am going to go observe some of the other teachers who will be teaching the same books as I am. I want to see how they introduce the book and see what in class activities they do. Just so I have an idea and am not having them just 'read aloud in class' all day.

I am hoping they come to observe me! My two favorite books of all time are being taught in the 4th quarter and I want to teach them SO BAD! =D
Old 02-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Enthusiast

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguist92021 View Post
I'd do this.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 AM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
Also I've found that one of the best ways to stand out is to talk to other teachers. Have lunch with them, etc. Of course don't bug them, some of them don't have time, have their own problems or just don't want to talk, but if there is someone, talk to them, ask questions, etc.
They'll be able to tell a lot about you by the type of questions you ask, information you share, etc. Be positive, always happy to be there and cheerful.

I remember when I was student teaching we had the best lunches, every day for 6 months. It was my master teacher and about 4-5 other grade level teachers. I've learned so much, but we also had fun. I definitely had enough issues, because I had a couple of rowdy classes, but the way I asked questions was always a: present the situation, b: describe your solution, c: ask for advice. It was great.
There was a math teacher who seemed to struggle a lot, she "asked" for advice the following way: a: presented the situation, b: said she didn't know what to do. She just seemed to be complaining a lot. When she was offered advice, she didn't seem receptive at all.
She actually got fired in March. I don't know exactly what happened, but I do know that in 'our group' my master teacher had a great influence on the P, and there was a teacher who'd been at the school for over 15 years, maybe more (and was the best teacher I've met). You just never know who has a say-so at the school.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:16 AM
Habitué

Good luck! I hope it becomes permanent.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Cohort

Huntington Beach, CA
Substitute Teacher
Linguist, that is the best advice I've ever heard. Thank you so much!! =D I can't wait to start tomorrow. I'm too excited to sleep!!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:46 AM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7
Enjoy your day today!

Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 AM
Enthusiast

Ohio
Middle/High School English
Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!

The English teacher in me wants to know what books you get to teach! I'm teaching my favorite 4th quarter (To Kill a Mockingbird).

Tags
job, start, tomorrow