A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I got an interview :)

Finally after applying to 4 jobs in the past 2 months I got an interview! The P called me today, have it set up for Wednesday. He seemed like a very down to earth person, I had an awesome conversation with him on the phone.

I would love this job! I'm the type of person, that I only apply for a job if I would absolutely love it; I can't send out random applications. This is a school that serves at-risk youth, they're not locked up, but they do live there, and most of them referred through the judicial system, so I think it's about the same thing. Before I applied I checked out everything and I was very impressed with their program. So I feel really good about this.

It's faaaar. I should say it's in a "galaxy far, far away".
Driving distance from here is about 9 hours (so I'm not sure if I'll fly or drive and stay over for the interview). And it's out in the nowhere. I have a feeling not a lot of people want to go out there because the P was telling all the great things about the school, as if he was trying to sell me on it

So question: I don't have a portfolio, and they have all the documents they asked for from my application. What should I bring?
I was thinking copies of everything just in case, a sample lesson plan, and a print out of my educational philosophy.

Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Companion

North Carolina/Toronto/Bermuda
Spouse teaches HS French
A few travel tips.

If you fly, make sure not to be on the last flight of the day, try to have some contingency plans if your flight is badly delayed or cancelled. If the weather at the destination is hopeless they might be closed, but if it's bad where you are or where you connect, it can be bright and sunny there and you still can't get there.

If you drive, I always rent cars for long drives like that rather than putting 1000 miles of wear and tear on my car. You can sometimes get some great rental car deals on Hotwire. I'm not saying this is common, but a few weeks ago I got a midsize for $12 a day including all taxes with unlimited mileage. Heck, you'll probably need to rent a car when you get there anyway. Check out Hotwire and Priceline for hotels too.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Fanatic

Thanks for the tips! I definitely don't have experience with this kind of travelling.

So far this is what I'm thinking:
I think flying is better because a roundtrip ticket is about $250, although I haven't checked everywhere, so maybe I can get a better deal. (although I thought I could get something under $200)
It seems that there are 1 or 2 flights in the morning only, I would take the early morning one, and then take an afternoon one back.

If I was driving I would definitely rent a car, I wouldn't trust mine. But because it's about 8 hours away I would have to drive up, rent a hotel room and drive back the next day, I think financially it would be about the same as flying (gas can really add up, too) . Even considering that I have to rent a car up there.

So so far I'm thinking I'll fly. I checked the weather, it's pretty much the same as it is here.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Linguist, I'm thrilled for you! That's quite a commute - but one surmises that you've located your niche.

As for what you're planning to take, sounds good.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
I'm sooooo stoked for you, Linguist! Is the job here in CA?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 PM
Fanatic

Thank you TG and YTG
The job itself is actually in Nevada (it's so far that you actually have to cross state lines, just a little) but it's ran by a California county office, so they need California credential and I don't have to transfer anything. I didn't want to be employed in another state, it's bad enough that if I get the job I'll have to get new driver's license, car registration, etc. A lot of hassle, but oh well.

One of the teacher's at the school today said she heard about that program. She said one of her ex-boyfriends graduated from there. He's now a doctor Must be a great program !
Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguist92021 View Post
I didn't want to be employed in another state, it's bad enough that if I get the job I'll have to get new driver's license, car registration, etc. A lot of hassle, but oh well.
Probably a naive question, but could you still live in CA where it's close to the border? That way you wouldn't have to go through all that work? Or is there no city close enough in CA?

And, congrats on the interview!! In this day and age, just getting an interview deems a celebration.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Fanatic

It would be too far. I would have to drive over an hour (maybe an hour and a half) just one way and the place would be out in the nowhere. So it woudn't be worth it.

This way I can live in a fair size city and drive maybe 30-40 minutes. I could live in the same town, and then I would be very close, but I don't think I would do well in a town with only 3000 people.

This is probably a weird question - and I'm pretty sure I'm wrong- could I keep everything California, if I get a PO box on the California side and I'd be employed by California? Or it has to be the physical address?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:43 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
You might want to check, but if memory serves, Nevada does not levy state income tax.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:01 AM
Fanatic

Interesting. Nevada has no income tax, but wouldn't I pay California state income tax? I really don't know anything about this.

Tags
interview