A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Third Grade

Old 01-30-2013, 05:35 AM
Rookie

Taiwan
What makes the little third grade monsters tick? motivation..

I am a third grade EFL teacher in China but I think that my question is more universally about 3rd grade students - 8-9 year old human beings (probably martians also) than about teaching a foreign language, so I put the question in this forum.

I am looking for texts and articles to help me learn about 3rd graders so that I can design a more effective classroom management system for them. What makes them tick? What is most important to them? Can they live in something other than the immediate world - i.e. can they be taught to think about the whole week? I have taught them before and know some of these answers but I would really like some suggestions for books, articles, webpages, etc that will help me improve my understanding of the beasts.

Feel free to post your own opinions/philosophies, examples, URL's, textbook names, etc. I think it would be helpful for me to get a good practical book on stages of development/developmental psychology so that I can become more familiar with the surrounding grades 2& 4 as well.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Comrade

USA
Elementary Teacher
I'm currently student teaching in a 3rd grade classroom. In my opinion, most of them are able to think in the longer term (as you mentioned whole week) as well as the short term. As for motivations, you could do a combination of immediate and long term. Most still enjoy something as simple as a sticker, or even a compliment from the teacher. They are also very affected by their peers. You can use this to your advantage by rewarding students who are doing the right thing. The other students will see, and (hopefully) imitate those students.

Just some thoughts from my perspective. Other kids and classroom dynamics could be much different
Old 04-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
I love my third graders... The curriculum is demanding but new learning opportunities can be designed to motivate and engage these learners...I'm saddened that the OP refers to his/her students as monsters and beasts...get to learn each kid as an individual and as a learner...find ways for them to feel connected, contributing and capable...this is an exciting age! Embrace the opportunity...and its challenges!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:53 PM

Florida
I think that you will find many teachers who disagree with the moniker 'monsters' in reference to this age group.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Just saw the date of the op...hope he's found a way to connect with hs students by now.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Given the OP's other posts and the general tone of this post, I for one would be shocked were "monsters" and "beasts" intended to be taken literally.

(Has no one else ever sung out, on getting home after a long fun day at the beach, "Let's get these monsters into the tub!")
Old 04-27-2013, 08:18 PM

Florida
Oh, you don't even want to know the kinds of things I've sung out in the privacy of my home....
Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Habitué

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherGroupie View Post
Given the OP's other posts and the general tone of this post, I for one would be shocked were "monsters" and "beasts" intended to be taken literally.

(Has no one else ever sung out, on getting home after a long fun day at the beach, "Let's get these monsters into the tub!")
I agree, I think it was intended as a term of endearment. OP clearly cares and wants to do all he/she can for the students. No need to be offended. Either way, the thread is months old now.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:09 AM
Novice

Indiana
3rd Grade Teacher
Build rapport! I've found a fun (yet firm) relationship with these little boogers makes all the difference.

Tags
grade, makes, monsters, motivation, tick