A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Cohort

California
4th Grade Teacher
Ideas anyone?

My class has been involved in a book drive with an organization that locates schools in need of books. We had a fantastic field trip meeting the students, and both schools would love to set up a reciprocal visit where their class comes to visit our school.

The school would like for me to come up with some type of activity/unit lesson that both schools learn about in their respective classrooms, and then do some kind of activity when they arrive.

I have no idea what kind of topic to choose that would be simple enough to do with the time constraints. (they are coming late Feb/early March) Ideally they'd like to work on the same unit together, but with the timing it's just not possible for us to do that. We're going to be discussing the Gold Rush soon, so I didn't know if maybe we could find an activity/topic within that theme...

Does anyone have any ideas? Hopefully what I'm in need of makes sense!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Could you have pans to mine for "gold" and then scales to find the weight of the gold? Maybe even work on some simple conversions changing the cost of gold into dollars.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 PM
Cohort

California
4th Grade Teacher
hmmm that could work...then I could tell the school we'll be studying about the gold rush.

They pretty much told me they will teach whatever topic I want, but they would love for both classes to be discussing a central topic/idea and then do some type of culminating activity together. I want it to be easy for those teachers, but also something that could fit into my curriculum so we're not going off on a tangent for a month to prep for when the kiddos come.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:17 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
What are or will you be studying in math? Maybe you can do a math lab together...

Or could you use the same read aloud and then present a play or two different versions of the book?

Tags
ideas