A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Companion

South Florida
book recommendations??

My class is about to finish our read aloud, Because of Winn Dixie. I have never seen my students so interested in a book before! I really need the next book to be a good one.

What do you recommend? My students are third graders. I was thinking of reading "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" and integrate it with Black History Month. But I know it is a heavy read. Thoughts?

Old 01-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Fanatic

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor - Shiloh series, Grand Escape Series, Boys Start the War series

DiCamillo - The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, Tale of Desperaux
Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiiteach View Post
My class is about to finish our read aloud, Because of Winn Dixie. I have never seen my students so interested in a book before! I really need the next book to be a good one.

What do you recommend? My students are third graders. I was thinking of reading "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" and integrate it with Black History Month. But I know it is a heavy read. Thoughts?
I agree that Because of Winn Dixie is a great book. You made an excellent choice. I used Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry with 7th graders. I don't recommend reading it to 3rd graders.

A great read aloud book for your 3rd graders would be Shiloh. If they love Because of Winn Dixie, they'll really like that book.

For Black History month, I would read "I Have a Dream" by Margaret Davidson. It is a great biography on Martin Luther King Jr. and the students enjoyed it a lot when I read it to them when I was a 3rd grade teacher.

Some other great books for 3rd grade read alouds are:

1. The BFG by Roald Dahl
2. The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
3. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
4. There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom by Louis Sachar
5. Stone Fox by John Gardiner
Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
I LOVE the Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, but isn't that the same author as the Winn Dixie book?
I'm not sure if you want a quick read/picture book or a chapter book. A good picture book for Black History Month would be, Ain't Nobody a Stranger to Me by Ann Grifilconi (sp ?). Abby Takes a Stand is a good chapter book.

I also like to suggest the website, dawcl.com. It's a listing of award winning children's literature, a great resource for teachers.

Tags
book, recommendations