A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Rookie

High School Teacher
Returning to teaching after a year-long break

Hi everyone! I am a recent graduate - I graduated in 2011 with my Master's (which including a year of teaching high school math) then taught another year of math in a middle school. I've always been interested in health/nutrition, and after seeing the health of my students (actually, the lack of health) I really wanted to do something more. So, I went back to school hoping to become a dietitian, and hopefully someday a school dietitian.

I'm in school now and have realized that 1) I don't want to be in school anymore, and 2) I miss being in the classroom.

I'll admit, there were other reasons I left teaching. The first two years were tough, especially when it came to dealing with classroom discipline. But it was mainly to pursue nutrition.

I'm thinking that I'll likely make this my last year of school and apply for teaching positions again for next school year. My questions are:

-Do you think it's likely for someone to hire me after taking a year off? I had great experiences at both schools and have great relationships with the principals of both. But I don't know how my year-long absence will look to future employers...
-Does the classroom management issue get any easier?!? Please say yes...

Thank you for any advice!

Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Cohort

Adjacent To Your House
Undergraduate
I think you'll be fine.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Multitudinous

It's hard to comment on whether it will be easy to find another teaching job without knowing where you live and what the market is like.

In my experience, classroom management does get easier. That's because I get better at knowing how to share my expectations with students and how to appropriately issue consequences. I think that some people are under the impression that classroom management magically gets better after a few years, but that's not true.

Tags
break, returning, teaching, yearlong