A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I don't do holiday-related celebrations in my class (not because of any belief of mine, but because students often don't share the same beliefs). Technically, according to school policy, we are only allowed 2 "parties" every year-one in December and one for the end-of-the-year.

One thought I did have though is what would you do in the case that a child brought a holiday gift for you-especially if you are planning on teaching the young ones.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
I dont celebrate Hanukkah, or Diwali, or lunar new year or a whole lot of other things my students celebrate, believe in, and enjoy as part of their family religions, culture and traditions. Personally, I love learning about and celebrating with others. If celebrations are in conflict with your personal beliefs, you will need to find a way to respect the traditions of others (perhaps having another teacher cover your class celebrations as described above) while balancing school culture and personal beliefs. Good luck to you.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Aficionado

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
My school allows bday treats. What would the op do in such a situation?
My question to the OP would be, can the students still bring in treats? Can you step out of the room for a few minutes while the class sings happy birthday & then come back in? This may mean having someone cover the class for those few minutes.

I think that would have to be a situation with full principal support.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
Here's something I don't like: My district has no policy regarding parents bringing in treats for birthdays. Therefore, if a parent wants to bring in a treat, they need to call the office, one of the secretaries emails the teacher to see if they approve/disapprove of the parent sending in a treat, and then the secretary calls the parent back. So it's teacher discretion.

Unfortunately, we have one teacher who says "yes" or "no" based on whether or not she likes that particular student! Can you believe that?

I tell the secretaries that there's no need to call/email me to get a yes or no. The answer is always yes. All I ask is that they let me know what time the parents plans to arrive so I can make sure I'm not in the middle of a lesson.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Novice

Michigan
1st Grade Teacher
I'm of a different religious faith than some of my students but I don't have a specific belief that would prevent me from having classroom celebrations.
I don't personally celebrate for example, Christmas but many of my close friends do so I do make an effort to get them a gift etc and they always do the same for Muslim holidays etc. I guess even if there were holidays that I wouldn't celebrate myself due to personal beliefs, I wouldn't let that influence my teaching or whether or not kids have parties etc.

At my school some teachers have opted for a healthy birthday treat policy. My policy is, you only turn 6 once so whatever, bring in cupcakes and have fun for the last 15 minutes of the day.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
I think that it would be very difficult to not celebrate birthdays at all with Kindergarten and 1st graders. I have had 1st graders come up and tell me that it is only 5 months to their birthday, and I only see them on the playground as I am not a 1st grade teacher. Birthdays are so important to children at that age.

I am not saying it is impossible, but if it is so important to you to not celebrate birthdays or holidays, it might be easier to switch to an older grade such as 4th or 5th.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 AM
Companion

Come up with a few great lessons that you could teach in other classrooms, and then tell other teachers you will take their classes if they will run your parties. Don't take the fun out of their lives.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Connoisseur

Pre-K
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTeacherGuy View Post
Here's something I don't like: My district has no policy regarding parents bringing in treats for birthdays. Therefore, if a parent wants to bring in a treat, they need to call the office, one of the secretaries emails the teacher to see if they approve/disapprove of the parent sending in a treat, and then the secretary calls the parent back. So it's teacher discretion.

Unfortunately, we have one teacher who says "yes" or "no" based on whether or not she likes that particular student! Can you believe that?

I tell the secretaries that there's no need to call/email me to get a yes or no. The answer is always yes. All I ask is that they let me know what time the parents plans to arrive so I can make sure I'm not in the middle of a lesson.
Wow! A discriminating teacher?!?
She better get her act together! There is no room in education for such nonsense. Can you imagine what else she can do to children that she CHOOSES to DISLIKE behind closed doors? She can do a lot of mental damage to these children.
Someone needs to make her see the light!
Rebel1
Old 01-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTeacherGuy View Post
Unfortunately, I can believe it.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Guru

I believe birthday celebrations should stay at home. I think school Valentines parties are strange. I really dislike when teachers require students to bring in a boy or girl gift worth a certain dollar amount for gift-giving at Christmas.

I've never been in a school that would require you to host a certain number of parties per year.

Certainly don't let this stop you from becoming a teacher.

Tags
celebrate, celebrating, holidays, holidays or birthdays, party, teacher, unsure