A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Newcomer

Georgia
What if a teacher does NOT celebrate holidays/birthdays?

The only problem I have in becoming a teacher is that I do not celebrate holidays or birthdays, and I would not celebrate with my class. The way I would approach this with the parents is that I would explain my reasoning and then invite them to feel free and organize any parties and whatnot amongst each other [the parents]. I mean I'd still like to have a themed class party, just not celebrating a holiday.
[and by the way I'm talking about kindergarten/first grade]
Is that a good way to handle it?

Old 01-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Companion

Yukon Canada
Teaching Assistant
in a first grade class I had last year we had an unbirthday party. One party, a couple of games and snacks and re gift exchange. that's it then all the birthdays are celebrated at once!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Habitué

I think that's fine. My co-teacher doesn't celebrate holidays and birthdays. She doesn't if other people do, but she doesn't participate.

You could have a "winter" class party around Christmas, and a "fall" class party around Halloween. Your Valentine's party could just be a party celebrating positivity, good deeds and the classroom community. If a parent is really going to be stubborn about it, then that child can go to a different classroom for a real "holiday" party. I don't think you'll come up against any opposition, though.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Connoisseur

CA.
1st Grade Teacher
If you are teaching in a school with multiple classes for a grade level and all other classes celebrate it could be a problem. You could do a fall party on Halloween (don't know how you will deal with the parade if the school has one). A winter party for the Christmas/Hannukah a spring is coming for Valentine's Day. I tend to just have the parents come in and set up the parties and not worry about it. You also might have a special hour of choice time and be done with it. Birthdays, I think you will be stuck with if you work at a school with lots of parent support in the early grades-moms will just show up cupcakes in hand. It would be a headache and a half to send mom home without the children getting to celebrate or at least eat the treats. If you are the only class for that grade level it will be easier to set the limits. I am not a celebrator of much; however at my school I would not even consider not allowing the children and families to engage in celebrating the different days, it would stand out quite clearly.

I would not try and encourage the parents to throw the party between themselves because you might have little delight who no one wants to invite and little no show whose parents won't let them go which could cause strife and hurt feelings. The result then can be blamed on you.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Aficionado

Michigan
We celebrate 2 holidays at my school: Thanksgiving which is a whole school We Give Thanks Lunch & most classrooms celebrate Valentine's Day. No candy either.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
So what would you do if a parent wanted to send in cupcakes for his/her child's bday snack?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Aficionado

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMonkey View Post
Birthdays, I think you will be stuck with if you work at a school with lots of parent support in the early grades-moms will just show up cupcakes in hand. It would be a headache and a half to send mom home without the children getting to celebrate or at least eat the treats..
I've sent the cupcakes home before. We do not allow cupcakes, chips, or candy. This is a school policy.

Last year we had parents of twins, in 2 different classrooms make 72 cupcakes for 50 students we didn't allow her to serve them. At recess the parents did face painting. I remember juice too, so she may have brought in other food as well.

I just reminded them of the school policy, they weren't happy about wasting the money, but if they would have said something before the big day, we would have reminded her of the school policy.

I do fruit, veggies, yogurt, muffins for special snacks. The parents have a harder time with it then the kids do!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
My school allows bday treats. What would the op do in such a situation?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Birthdays and holidays are a VERY big deal to most children. I have a student who reminds me daily that it's almost her birthday. Her birthday is in April. Most children enjoy bringing in a birthday treat. Also, my school requires classrooms to have 3 celebrations each year: fall, winter, and Valentine's Day. All grade levels participate in a classroom party. Children who do not celebrate go to the library. Perhaps you could have a staff member cover your classroom for celebration times, while you supervise other children that share your beliefs.

Birthday and holiday celebrations at school are some of my fondest childhood memories from my elementary days. Call me mean, but I would be an unhappy parent if my child's teacher told me that these things were not happening in the classroom because of the teacher's personal beliefs. If the majority of the class did not believe in celebrations, that would be one thing, but that usually isn't the case. I guess I just don't think it's fair for them to miss out. If you don't want to plan the activities, you could recruit a parent volunteer.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Connoisseur

CA.
1st Grade Teacher
"I've sent the cupcakes home before. We do not allow cupcakes, chips, or candy. This is a school policy."

If it is a school policy it is a very different question than one teacher out of 24 sending home the cupcakes or treats.

Tags
celebrate, celebrating, holidays, holidays or birthdays, party, teacher, unsure