A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 01-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Novice

Tattle Tales

My one 4th grade class is full of tattle tales. I mean I know it's good they are telling the teacher, but it really interrupts the flow of the lesson. For example, a kid raises his hand and say's "sarah just told me to shut"....I reply "thank you" and give the student a consequence. Then he says the same thing again....sarah loses her temper...it becomes a mess. Not the first time this has happened in this particular class either. I moved those students away from each other...but then the same thing happened later in the class with two more students. Geez Any suggestions?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Aficionado

Ummm, why was Sarah having to tell the other child to shut up during the lesson? I suggest you teach Sara to say "stop talking, please" and to raise her had when the person next to her won't shut up. That way Sarah doesn't get in trouble and a mess for having to deal with the constant talker who is instigating the problem and not getting in trouble.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Novice

that sounds like a good idea cause it is the same kids....I will tell them the right way to do things....wish I could think of these things in the moment....rather than have to call a dean for petty behavior....thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Aficionado

I was being a bit sarcastic. What you should do is separate the child that is the talker from others as much as possible. Possibly right in front of you so you can curtail him. Sarah shouldn't be getting in trouble for trying to stop him from talking even though some suggest the method of making other students ignore the talker. I don't like that because a talker can disrupt another student for an entire class.

However, you do need to teach Sara to tell him to stop talking not shut up. That way, the gabber won't have a reason to tattle.

Is it really the one kid that is always talking and disturbing because if so, that child is the issue to deal with.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Habitué

Rocklin, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman15 View Post
...but it really interrupts the flow of the lesson. For example, a kid raises his hand and say's "sarah just told me to shut"....I reply "thank you" and give the student a consequence. Then he says the same thing again....sarah loses her temper...it becomes a mess. ...
This type of thing can gain momentum as you noted. Too often it is an attention getting method versus an actual plea for help. The "thank you" and anything that follows rewards the student. It you think the disruption is serious and demands intervention then intervene. It's a judgment call.

Some teachers tell students to "write" their complaint on paper which will be checked for proper form and mechanics, turn it in after class and it will be addressed on Friday. Most give up due to having to write or by Friday have forgotten what the complaint was about.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Connoisseur

CA.
1st Grade Teacher
I usually just say "we need to use polite words when asking others to quiet down" and then give examples. If it is not a serious matter I tend to say "worry about yourself," or "who should you worry about?"
Old 01-26-2013, 12:01 AM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMonkey View Post
I usually just say "we need to use polite words when asking others to quiet down" and then give examples. If it is not a serious matter I tend to say "worry about yourself," or "who should you worry about?"
I agree. You may also want to teach your students some problem solving skills --- informing vs. tattling.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 AM
Groupie

Tattling: telling on someone to get them in trouble rather than using your words to solve a problem

Reporting: telling on someone in order to keep them, yourself, someone else, or someone's property safe from physical harm

Teach them the difference. Use examples. Practice.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Aficionado

Let's not forget emotional harm or academic harm. The chatterbox disrupting Sarah's education is a problem. Sarah should be able to tell the teacher it is happening without being labeled a tattle-tale.

Not all kids will stick up for themselves and no child should feel that they can't be allowed to tell the teacher that another student won't quit bothering them when they are trying to learn.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Aficionado

USA
I think it's important though to help build functional social skills. Publicly tattling, even if acceptable to teachers, is generally not accepted by peers, and can lead to peer rejection and other social issues.

First, it needs to be taught that there are some things you attempt to deal with yourself, then if unsuccessful you seek help. There are other things that you don't attempt by yourself.

Then, social related to defending oneself should be taught, including how to respond to statements such as shut up. If a child tattles about something, then, but should have attempted to deal on his or her own, the teacher should prompt the child to use previously taught skills then come back and let the teacher know how it went.

Tags
tales, tattle