A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Newcomer

Los Angeles
Subjects and objects in sentences?

Hello fellow teachers! I'm currently in my 2nd year of teaching and am having a bit of trouble coming up with an engaging lesson about subjects and objects in sentences. Last year, I defined each term and gave a few examples using simple sentences, eventually progressing to compound sentences. Unfortunately, my students didn't really grasp the concept (over half the class failed their hw assignment the following day).
This year I want to really engage the class and make sure they learn this subject. Do any of you have any recomendations?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
It's not really an engaging topic...

What grade is this?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 PM
Newcomer

Los Angeles
If not engaging then how do you ensure it sticks?

I teach 2nd grade btw.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Objects in grade 2? Is this your state curriculum?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Subject-verb agreement comes up in California's version of the Common Core standards in writing for second grade (from http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/cc/ there's a link to http://www.scoe.net/castandards/agen...mendations.pdf), and active and passive sentences come in for mention for second grade as well. That strikes me as odd.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:17 AM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Subject verb agreement is reasonable. Teaching kids to write interesting and varied sentences is as well. This can be done through shared writing, craft mini lessons, and close activities. I don't think it's appropriate to expect second graders to identify and label objects, passive vs active voice, though.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Sorry, I didn't specify well what struck me as odd: it's not the subject-verb agreement (which is simply a matter of bringing to consciousness something a normal three-year-old already does correctly in speaking). There's a substantial literature in child language acquisition pointing to the fact that passive voice is acquired rather later than subject-verb agreement: normal four-year-olds are known to have difficulty interpreting passive constructions - "The blue car was hit by the red car" will be acted out with the blue car hitting the red car - and it isn't until age 5 that normal children even start to produce spontaneous passives orally. An interesting, if technical, article on a possible semantic basis for the delay is here. Explicitly teaching second graders to recognize passives is therefore odd; teaching them to write passives - which require one to juggle not merely the morphology (plain verb vs. BE plus past participle) but also subject vs. object syntactic roles AND agent vs. patient/theme semantic roles AND theme vs. rheme information roles) is just... overly optimistic.

Tags
objects, sentences, subjects