A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 01-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
I'm a science teacher who has been assigned to 9th grade English

I saw the schedules for the coming year and I saw I was teaching 9th grade English. I assumed it was a mistake until I went to my email and saw my director asking me if I was okay with teaching English.

I have a degree in Bio Ed, I honestly never even liked English. Plus this will be more of ESL since all the kids have Spanish or German as a first language. Although their English is at a very high level. At least spoken.

I wrote my director back saying I am NOT comfortable teaching English at such a high level and that it would be a disservice to the kids. She wrote me back basically pleading me to teach it. She says there is some English director this year who can help me, so that I'll always be supported. But, there's only two other English teachers in the entire school. We're very small.

School starts in 2 weeks (remember our year is February-December) so there's no way she can find another English teacher in that small amount of time. I'm almost 100% sure they'll make me teach until they "find someone new" and then never "find someone new". She wants to speak with me personally on Wednesday when we go back in.

What do I do?? I know I should just say again that I don't want to for a), b), and c) reasons. But they'll still say "just do it til we find someone new" Because otherwise there won't be anyone.

I hate how people assume that just because I am a native English speaker that I can teach the language. I would be more okay with it if it were more like read a book, discuss a book, write your opinion. That's what I did in high school (IB program). But I bet I'll have to teach grammar. I don't even know the rules of grammar!

Ugh. I'm so stressed out!

(I'll also be teaching 3rd-6th science and 7th-9th biology. I'm psyched they gave physics to someone else this year! Definitely not my strong suit!)

Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Are you teaching Language Arts, or how to speak English?

Either way, it sounds like something you aren't qualified for or comfortable with. Sounds like a disservice to you and the students.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:43 PM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
I'm not even sure! It just says "English" so I have a feeling it would be grammar and such. I don't know since I've never taught it before and have no information about the class at all except for that I'm supposed to teach it.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Cohort

Adjacent To Your House
Undergraduate
I would not teach something I am not certified for. They can't split that extra class between the two actual English teachers?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucybelle View Post
I'm not even sure! It just says "English" so I have a feeling it would be grammar and such. I don't know since I've never taught it before and have no information about the class at all except for that I'm supposed to teach it.
This is a private school, isn't it? I'm sure parents would like to knw teachers were qualified to teach their subject matter.
Is there no chance of you keeping a science position?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
This is a private school, isn't it? I'm sure parents would like to knw teachers were qualified to teach their subject matter.
Is there no chance of you keeping a science position?
Agreed. This is exactly what I said in the email to my director. That I was not qualified, had no experience and would be lowering the quality of education at the school if I taught English.

The thing is, it's common in foreign countries for some native speaker to show up and just start teaching English without any training. So my director seems to think the only "training" I need is being a native speaker.

I'm going in to the school today, but to talk about a different issue. I'll talk to her on Wednesday next week, but I think I'm going to be stuck with these classes. I am still teaching 90% science, just also have 3 classes of English 9 to teach as well.

Tags
9th, assigned, english, grade, science, teacher