A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 01-24-2013, 05:19 AM
Fanatic

North Carolina
2nd grade teacher
My team is falling apart and we're becoming the talk of the school

I'm so sad about this. I don't want to get into too many details, but what started off rough has become a monster. For some reason my team has never gotten together to plan at all. Three of us (of 7) do try to help each other, but we're all new. Even though it's my 5th year, I'm new to the district, school, and the grade, so I feel like I'm no help to the other 2 who are 1st year.

Lately some of my teammates have been publicly turning on each other. Yesterday there was some cattiness at a staff meeting. The other teachers were turning their bodies to look/listen in and I was appalled. My principal has even started to notice but he's done nothing to help. Making matters worse, I'm fighting to keep my job and I just re-interviewed for the new magnet program next year. I talked about how I love to collaborate, blah blah, but I'm sure to him it doesn't look that way!!

All year I've tried to stay neutral and friendly but it's gotten more and more difficult. Several teachers on my team have made it clear they're not returning (some are transferring and some retiring) so they have a "why bother" attitude.

It's so bad I've lost sleep over it. Any advice?

Old 01-24-2013, 05:38 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
As much as possible, stay away from the teachers who are causing the distress on your team. Keep your door closed when you have planning time if you can.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
No advice, Pisces - but hugs to you.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Multitudinous

I'm sorry to hear this. My department is in a similar mess. Thankfully we've managed to keep most of it to ourselves, but it has still been unpleasant. Our department had always been top-notch, really tight and competent and fun. After some personnel changes, it has changed dramatically. It makes me so sad. =(
Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
Keep the lines of communication open. Possibly let your principal know what you're doing to solve these problems. I had a similar breakdown in working relations on my team but held together the parts of the team I could. It actually worked out in my favor, giving me good reviews for working under fire.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS

I would try to stay as far away from them as possible- the three of you should break off. At staff meetings, sit away from the rest of the group. As much as I hate tattling, if they are not doing what is best for their students, I think admin needs to know about their attitude towards teaching.

(And off topic, but Happy Birthday Cat!!)
Old 02-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
Has it gotten any better?
Old 02-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Habitué

Rise above it all! If anyone asks you if you've noticed this or that, just play dumb.

We have a man on our team who is completely clueless. The principal called me into the office one day and asked, "How do you think Mr. X is doing as a teacher?" I played completely stupid! I said, "Honestly, I have no clue. I have never been in his class while he had students with him." I am not the admin. You aren't getting me involved with that mess! She needs to do her own observations if she wants to make a determination. I can just see it now when she met with him, "Mrs. X said that YOU weren't doing a good job!" Two-faced.

Tags
falling, school, talk, team