A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Devotee

Rhode Island
Dyslexia Tutor
Putting My Mouth Where the Money Is...

As you know I resigned my position a month ago on YouTube and some good things have come out of it. I've been asked to speak at the Department of Ed Occupation in April along with Diane Ravitch, Stephen Krashen, Nancy Carlson-Paige and Kris Nielson. I'll be the first speaker on Friday, April 5th (9:20 AM) so if you happen to be in the area, please stop by.

The 2nd good thing is that the "Montessori Madmen" have offered me a full scholarship to their teacher training school (and a position if I complete the course). I visited their school in Peacedale, Rhode Island and absolutely loved what I saw, but the problem is I'm 61 years old and not willing to spend another full year of my life going to school.

My friends and family are trying to get me to open a tutoring service, but I don't want to go through the time and expense and hassle of setting up a small business. So I'm trying something really outside the box. I'm offering my tutoring service to the highest bidder on e-bay and guaranteeing results. If I can't get your dyslexic child to read on or above grade level, I won't charge a dollar for my time. To see the ad, click here
Wish me luck!

Last edited by teacherman1; 01-21-2013 at 05:33 PM. Reason: New link

Old 01-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
That is incredibly exciting. Please let us know if it's going to be televised so we can all watch. You're going to be alongside some strong people. What an honor!

Why not take some time to learn? If I still have my brain when I retire, I'm going to spend as much time as a student as possible.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Devotee

The Deep South
Special Education Teacher
You really do think outside the box!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Connoisseur

California
Social Studies
So, you quit because your creativity was boxed in by testing and now you offer your services to be measured by... testing?

I'm really confused.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Devotee

Rhode Island
Dyslexia Tutor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockguykev View Post
So, you quit because your creativity was boxed in by testing and now you offer your services to be measured by... testing?

I'm really confused.
Not sure what you mean by that. I teach kids to read. That's it. Everything I've done so far has been voluntary - and I plan to continue that. In fact, I've gotten two new students this past week.

I'm just hoping that I can connect with a few people who are well off and can afford paying what the service is really worth. Then at least I'll be able to make a living until I hit retirement age.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherman1 View Post
Not sure what you mean by that. I teach kids to read. That's it. Everything I've done so far has been voluntary - and I plan to continue that. In fact, I've gotten two new students this past week.

I'm just hoping that I can connect with a few people who are well off and can afford paying what the service is really worth. Then at least I'll be able to make a living until I hit retirement age.
So you're planning to continue voluntary but hope to connect with a few well off clients who can pay...like rock guy, I'm confused. You seem to be saying two things at once.

As teachers, we all 'dance to the music'. Curriculum changes, testing places demands on us,new evaluation systems,legally binding education plans to carry out with individual students. We may not agree with everything we are asked to do. Some of us have more freedom than others, some have a more complicated dance. We do what we can for our students within the parameters placed upon us...whatever those parameters are: time, budget, philosophies, edicts...but truthfully, you put yourself in a precarious position of having to 'make a living until retirement age'...some would call you a hero, some would call you a fool.
Good luck to you.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Guru

If you're not in danger of going hungry, I think you made the right choice. Too many do things they don't love...and life is not meant to just "get through". Additionally, we tend to think we need so much more than we do.

So your plan is to freely help students who would otherwise go unhelped, but you'll accept payment from those families who can afford it? It actually makes sense to me. I think plenty of people do similar things.

As to the ad, though, I think $500 as a starting bid is quite high. It's not too high to give your child the "gift" of reading, but there isn't much in the ad to convince someone you're worth that much money upfont. Maybe some sort of contract/payment plan?

If this eBay thing doesn't work, have you considered ads in your local papers?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
For $500, I tutor 7 hours. I get results, but unlimited tutoring for that amount isn't going to pay the bills....
Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Multitudinous

This is all getting to be too much.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
This is all getting to be too much.
Yup.

Tags