A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Newcomer

NY
Elementary School PreK-G6
I need help finding a supervisor

Hi everyone,

So I am new here and I was looking for a good community of teachers to join. I am about to get my Master's Degree in Early childhood and Childhood Education with a concentration in Pre K - Grade 6. My last semester will be next Fall and I would be graduating in January 2014.

My last semester is like an internship so it is student teaching in a school and state of my choice. I chose to teach in Missouri. Mainly because I have been to it many times and I like it there. So I am required to find a supervisor to supervise me 4 times during my student teaching semester. However, I don't know teachers who live in Missouri. I am thinking of teaching in 2 different schools; one in Warrensberg and the other one in another town called Harrisonville. I was told that my supervisor should be either a principal, vice principal, an experienced teacher in the school, or a retired teacher.

I decided to post this on a teaching forum because I was hoping that any of you would be able to help me find a supervisor that I can contact to arrange for my student teaching semester next fall.

Please if anyone knows a teacher/principal in Missouri who would be willing to supervise my performance 4 times during the whole semester, please let me know or advise me who I can contact. Thank you so much in advance.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Habitué

Midwest
Second Grade
Well, I'm in Missouri, but I'm nowhere near the two towns you're considering. I'm on the other side of the state. Your program sounds interesting and much different than my student teaching program. Just out of curiosity, how does it work? Are only certain schools around the country offered as options to you, or are you able to choose virtually any school, as long as you set up the arrangement yourself? Also, what state will you be certified to teach in upon completion of your program?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Newcomer

NY
I need help finding a supervisor

Hi bella84

Well yes the way it works in my university (Niagara University) is that for student teaching you can choose any state in the US or any city in the Canadian province of Ontario. However, if you choose to do an out of state teaching experience then you have to speak to the schools yourself and find a supervisor on your own and set everything up yourself and you just give all those details to the program coordinator. My program is a pretty awesome program actually. Once I get my degree, I will be certified in the state of NY and as well as in the Canadian province of Ontario. I am actually just starting with the certification exams in both Ontario and New York. So I would be certified on both sides of the border which opens a lot of doors for me.

Do you know anyone in either towns I mentioned who would be able to supervise me? Where do you live?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Habitué

Midwest
Second Grade
Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in or near either of those towns. I'm in the St. Louis area. Are you able to have someone at the school supervise you, or does it have to be someone with an outside perspective?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Newcomer

NY
No it could be the school principal or a teacher at the school I am teaching in but since I will be teaching in 2 different schools it only means I would have 2 different supervisors whereas I prefer to have just one. But if push comes to shove and I can't find anyone then I will have to ask the schools I am planing on teaching at. I just hope they would not have any objections to being my supervisors.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Habitué

Midwest
Second Grade
I would hope that, if they're willing to have you student teach there, they're also willing to supervise you. I'm sure you can find at least one person there who is willing! Maybe you'll develop a good relationship with the supervisor at the first school and they'll be willing to continue supervising you at your next school...? Good luck! Hope it works out for you!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Connoisseur

CA.
1st Grade Teacher
I would be concerned that if your credential and your plan to teach is in New York and Ontario, then you student teaching in Missouri is kind of mismatched. I was interviewed at a lot of jobs when I graduated because the principal at the school I taught at thought I would be an asset to schools in the district. She called friends who were principals at other schools in the district and they contacted me and interviewed me. The principals in Missouri will not probably not have any contact with NY principals or school districts and the NY principals will not recognize the schools or districts in Missouri your worked at. So you could do a stellar job at the hardest school in all Missouri and the places you are interviewing will not recognize this. I could be totally wrong.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:10 AM
Newcomer

NY
The reason I chose Missouri is because I want to diversify my experience as a student. I had already been a TA the last 2 semesters in different schools in New York and Ontario and I am teaching this semester too in both Ontario and New York so I needed an experience in Missouri in my last semester because my plan is to move to Missouri when I graduate and teach there and I plan to take whatever certification exams I need for the state of Missouri so I kind of need contacts there and recommendations from schools in Missouri to work there. I have my friends and my Fiance living in Missouri so my future plans is to settle there that is why I thought Missouri would be the best option for my student teaching semester.

Tags
finding, supervisor