A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Comrade

Ohio, USA
Middle school language arts
Does my job now limit my future?

I work in a private christian school now... but I hope to get into a public school district to coach and teach one day. Do you think this will count as valuable experience to a principal of a public school?

Our christian school has a pretty good reputation in the area and gets good test scores etc.... but I only have 11 kids in my class, compared to much bigger classes in public school classrooms.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Cohort

CA
High School Teacher
I think any experience is good experience.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Comrade

Ohio, USA
That's what I think also but just wondered if public schools would think the same thing.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
In my area, public schools love hiring people who recently left a private school. Why? Because they have experience, and they start at the bottom of the payscale.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Comrade

I'm sort of in the same boat as you, as I'm licensed in my state but teaching at a Catholic school with a great reputation. While I still look at openings, at this point I'm very particular about which public school districts I'd be willing to go to.

It really depends on the district. I started interviewing last year and I didn't feel like my experience at a private school was hurting my application. Most of the districts that interviewed me were highly ranked, so I think they liked seeing that I had worked with parents with high expectations. I think it can hurt a little if you're trying to get a job in a more urban school district with more behavior and classroom management issues, but I know another former private school teacher who got a job in an urban district last year, so it does happen.

You have your own classroom, so you're planning the instruction, which are huge pros in my opinion. Are you able to volunteer at all in a program in a district you are interested in, and are you licensed to teach? In Ohio, a license is pretty important, as I'm sure you know!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
You'll be fine. A male teacher who is able to work with elementary and middle school students is a commodity in just about any job market, public or private. It's a shame that Ohio's teacher market is so rough! Keep your eyes out for the Department of Education Job Bank.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Comrade

Ohio, USA
mcqxu seems as if you are in a similar situation. I am also going to be kind of picky when it comes to looking for a public school district. I definitely want to be there at some point but I am probably going to try and wait until there is openings in the county. At the moment I live 5 mins from my work and driving all the way to another county would not be something that i want to do......

I am also close to my babysitter if anything were to go wrong etc.

catnfiddle - thanks! i keep an eye on there also. not sure when they will start showing up for next year but I do look a few times a week.

And yes I do have a valid teaching license for the state of Ohio. I keep up with everything I need to do to keep it valid etc.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 AM
Comrade

That's good! I've been trying to additional areas to my license and try to attend meetings to keep up with public school issues.

I would actually really love to teach in an urban district, as long as there was good support with administration. Sort of a scary thing about teaching in public schools in Ohio right now is how much things are changing with teacher evaluations - but I guess this is happening everywhere. At my school we are frequently evaluated and have been videotaping lessons for awhile, but rating teachers based on student academic growth (50% of the evaluation!) is going to be very dependent on the neighborhood in which you are teaching and your administration.
Read this article, and click on the link "each teacher will be rated" for the evaluation framework:
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...valuating.html
Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
Agreed, mcqxu. I'm sorry if I'm hijacking, but the new evaluations for public school teachers are daunting. How will I be evaluated? My students are seniors who have already passed Reading and Writing. Must I rely on the skills of the other teachers who are prepping younger students to take those tests? Does my evaluation get tied to my pass rate? What if one of my fellow teachers rigs his or her pass rate to be much higher than my fairly evaluated one? ACK!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Rookie

I may get in a lot of trouble for say this but I find it rather unfair that Catholics can teach in a public school but non Catholics are not allowed to teach in a Catholic school. Diddo for Christians.

Maybe we should demand a "reference letter from a non church member" stating how the prospective teacher does not go to church in order to get a job in the public school system.

Tags
future, job, limit