A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Comrade

North Carolina
Pre-K Teacher
Open-ended art anyone?

I'm looking for ideas for art ideas that are open-ended, meaning the kids don't have to follow my instructions or I don't have to cut out a lot of pieces, etc. I'm teaching in a special-needs pre-school and I have two kids with autism and two with other syndromes that create global delays. I find that I'm having to basically do their craft for them, which is not cool. I always have lots of art materials available, but how do I set up art situations to go along with a theme that are open-ended?

Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

California
Preschool/Adult School Teacher
This is one of the best resources I have found:

http://www.artfulparent.com/artfulparent/

Explore the site which is organized by type of art - watercolors, paint, suncatchers, etc. for tons of great ideas.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

2nd Grade Teacher
My students love having time for free exploration of materials. One afternoon I put out paints, boxes, fabric, tape, etc. and just let them go at it. Bliss!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
Check out a book, "Don't Move the Muffin Tins." It has a lot of creative art.

Here are some ideas that I used years ago"

Using the colors of your theme, have them paint on the back side of paper that has some outlines of your theme. For instance, I would have them paint gold and yellow, and cut out fish shapes on the other side.

Put salt in the paint. Lots of salt. Let them paint items that look great shiney.

Stickers or sticky paper. Sometimes I put out clear contact and let them stick paper shapes on it. Fold it over and you have a great collage.

Take a paper plate and punch holes around the outer edge. Have them "sew" with yarn. (At Halloween we put a spider on it.)

Stamping. I like the cookie cutters from Hallmark. They have a wider rim. Turn them rim side down, give the students some paint, and let them stamp on paper.

I will keep thinking.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Rookie

San Diego, CA
Preschool Teacher
scmom, thanks for that website! It's one of my New Year's resolultions to be more creative with my art.

Sarah
Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
I love Bes Bos (Don't Move The Muffin Tin)....How did you know?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:36 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
WA, I think you went to school about the same time I did. Bev Bos and her book were Bibles of art for PS teachers.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Companion

NJ
Preschool Teacher
Coffee filters and washable markers...

Have students color heavily on filters then dispense (varied ways - spray, drip, splash) water on it. Colors will bleed together. Colors will bleed onto anything underneath to create an additional patterning effect.

These can be used in so many ways - overlaying on something else or ripping them when wet; crumpled, folded, cut, glued, taped, etc. when dry. Create a parachute with yarn. Create hats. Simple process for kids but complex possibilities.

Also, this time of year I am loving the shaving cream/glue puffy combo. Pile it up, smooth it flat, embed things into it , sprinkle things on top of it (glitter, leaf crumble), stand things up in it (sticks, straws), put it into a bag then cut the corner and draw/write with it. Let it dry on wax paper and then use again for another project.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Rookie

childcaresoup.com
Preschool Arts and Crafts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Put salt in the paint. Lots of salt. Let them paint items that look great shiney.

Stickers or sticky paper. Sometimes I put out clear contact and let them stick paper shapes on it. Fold it over and you have a great collage.
Good ideas...

We've found painting projects tend to work best as an open-ended art activity. Several of our hand print projects are simple and can be engaging for autistic children.

On our site, you can search for projects by difficulty level, time and skills required (e.g. fine motor, color recognition etc.). Just click the icons in the left gutter under "Quick Browse" to filter the list.

Our programmers have set up the site to allow for several recipe views before it starts nagging you to create an account. If you'd like a free account just private message me and I'll set one up for you.

One of the children at the preschool that provided some of the seed projects for our website is autistic. I'll check with the teacher to see if she can recommend any projects in particular and get back to you.

Tags
art, openended