A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 01-05-2013, 03:00 AM
Rookie

California
New Teacher Questions

Hi. I just got a position teaching at a middle school. I will be starting in the next week or so. What should I have ready to go. I am going into fill out all of my paper work the beginning of the week. I was wondering if any one had any tips for me? I am pretty nervous because I am starting in the middle of the school year.

Thank you for any help.

Kim

Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Guru

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
Is there a teacher or sub in the room? If it is a teacher, I'd go in to observe your classes. See their routines. Ask the teacher questions. If it is a sub, sit down with the P and ask questions.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Connoisseur

California
SPED 9-12
I agree with Giraffe. If you visit the class, you will also be able to see the supplies and materials.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
Yep, if you can get in there earlier to observe and get a sense of their routines I would do that that. Have you seen the curriculum? You should find out if your grade has a curriculum map and figure out where your class is, topic wise, and get some planning done. The more ready you are, the easier the transition will be. Also, plan ahead how you are going to handle student work. Where will they turn it in, how will you turn it back to them, etc. Believe it or not but being unorganized can make things much more complicated. Likewise, if you are organized the paperwork will flow more quickly. Congratulations on your new job!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Guru

If you're replacing someone, that person should ideally meet with you and cover some basics....what he or she has taught already and so forth.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Groupie

Pennsylvania
Congratulations! I love middle school and hope you have lots of success. I agree that it would be great if you could observe the classroom, but it's not necessary. Focus on being knowledgeable of your curriculum. MS students will pounce on a teacher who seems confused or doesn't seem to know the material. You won't have all the answers you need immediately, but the "sub folder" may be helpful to get a feel for the schedule. What will you be teaching?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Rookie

California
I go into the district office on Monday to fill out all the paperwork. I will be teaching math and maybe some intro computer classes. When I was at the interview the pricipal was not sure yet if it would just be math or math and some computer classes. I have not been able to talk to the principal to find out about which classes I am actually teaching. That is really what is making me nervous. I am hoping that I can talk to the previous teacher who is transfering to another school in the district and observe the class before I have to start teaching. I guess I will find out more information on Monday.

I want to thank you all for the posts they have been a great help. Anything else that you could let me know would be great. Thanks so much!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Connoisseur

Pre-K
Some tips...
-Be consistent!
-Treat everyone fairly...
-Stay calm, cool, and collected...
-Never let them see you sweat!
-Enjoy your new calling, and make sure you make your lessons FUN for the children to enjoy.
Prayers coming your way,
Rebel1
-
-
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl4413 View Post
Hi. I just got a position teaching at a middle school. I will be starting in the next week or so. What should I have ready to go. I am going into fill out all of my paper work the beginning of the week. I was wondering if any one had any tips for me? I am pretty nervous because I am starting in the middle of the school year.

Thank you for any help.

Kim
Two great books to read....Harry Wong's "The First Days of School," and Fred Jones' "Tools for Teaching."
Good luck - we are pulling for you!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Companion

Minnesota
MS & HS English
I know when I started, I was so focused on curriculum and lesson plans that I didn't think enough about procedures and patterns, and I'd really second everyone who suggested either finding about the ones the previous teacher used or taking time to estabilish your own. Thinking through the basics like how will I quiet the class, what's my policy on leaving the room, how will class start and end each day will really pay off. (I hope that doesn't seem too elementary-- I really did forget to think these things through at first, and was constantly making choices on the spot which added a lot of unnecessary stress.)

Tags
questions, teacher