A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Novice

FL
Do You Travel??

I think that traveling is one of the best things in life. Its food for the mind and for the soul. I have only traveled out of state but not internationally and would like to do so in the future. I think teachers can truly benefit from traveling because it allows them to share more experiences and knowledge to their students. And it's just a good way to do something out of the ordinary. Do you guys take a week or 2 during the summer so you can travel?

Old 01-05-2013, 12:17 AM
Guru

Honestly, I won't travel anywhere I can't easily take my dog. I'll be able to retire still somewhat young and we will travel then. I look forward to it and hope we're in good health and all that to allow it to happen, but right now I'd rather be home.

I don't think traveling would greatly influence my classroom, though.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
I love to travel!! A couple of years ago I went on a 16 day camping trip through a college (it was a geology and anthropology class) where we went to 7 states. It was amazing!

I've also been to Hawaii and to Japan.

My goal is to go to Europe this year. Right now, we are working on saving up the money so that no debt is incurred.

I want to travel as much as I can while I am able to. I guess I'm somewhat pessimistic and I worry that something horrible will happen to me and that I will regret not having lived life to the fullest. So, I'm constantly looking for new adventures or challenges to tackle.

Where have you been, Digital? Are you afraid of flying? My hubby is terrified, and I must admit... so am I. How do you cope?
Old 01-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
I moved across the country for a job, so all of my traveling money is spent on going back to my home state to be with my family for holidays and such. Between the airline tickets, parking at the airport, and pet boarding, I spend almost 2,000 per year. There's not really any money leftover to go anywhere else.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:51 AM
Devotee

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Science Teacher and Geography too!
Countries I have visited so far

France, Italy, Spain, Gibralter, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Estonia, Russia, Finland, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Canada and the USA,

In the USA I have been to Florida, California (SF,LA), Nevada (LV), Chicago and Alaska.
Canada included Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver.

Will be back in Chicago at Easter.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Novice

FL
I live in Florida. I've only been to California, Nevada, and Maryland. I would love to visit other countries. My husband and I are planning to go to Spain and Japan. With my job as a teacher, and no kids, I'm able to save at least 800 to 1,000 bucks a month. My husband is also a teacher, he's saving money too. Our goal is to travel first, before having kids.

I truly believe that traveling is a way to live life to the fullest. It's just mind stimulating. My husband and I are both artists and going to different places gives us inspiration and boosts our creativity. A variety of beautiful scenery to see, different culture to experience, language to learn and people to meet.

As far as fear of flying, I'm a bit afraid during the take off and landing. But not to the point where it will stop me from getting on the plane. Besides, in life, you gotta take risks in order to have some fun.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Novice

FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer View Post
Countries I have visited so far

France, Italy, Spain, Gibralter, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Estonia, Russia, Finland, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Canada and the USA,.
Woooww, that's a lot of countries! How did you get the money to afford that? Well I guess since you live in the United Kingdom, I believe teachers there earn more money than teachers here in the United States.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Companion

Alabama
4th Grade Teacher
I love to travel! My parents just opened their own travel agency, so we're excited about that. Typically my family goes on one or two trips a year, usually cruises or all inclusive resorts. This past year we went to Alaska and then the Caribbean for Christmas. Both were amazing.

I teach students who come from low income housing and some haven't even been to the beach. After I return from a trip, I share pictures and try to bring them something little back so they have things from parts of the word. (When I came back from the Grand Canyon, they each got a small rock. Alaska - they each got a post card.)
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
I've lived in both the USA and Costa Rica.

I've been to: Canada, USA, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Peru, Spain, Bonaire, USVI (St. Croix), Jamaica, England, Germany and France.

I have so much more to see! And I'll be honest with you guys, one of the main reasons I'm a teacher is the summer break where I get a few months to travel. I love traveling and I would never be in a job where I didn't have the amount of time to travel I wanted.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Aficionado

Kentucky
Middle School Teacher
I don't like to travel, but I like to have new experiences. My parents thought it was important to vacation, so they took me lots of places when I lived at home.

I don't travel often, as I don't have the disposable income for it. I've been to maybe 20 states, and I have several old favorites I visit often.

Tags
travel