A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 12-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
I'm freaking out (as a parent)

I just got my son's PSAT scores in the mail. They were terrible. I'm not exaggerating. Seriously, I want to cry..again. In having conversations with his teachers over the past few years, I've always known that he just doesn't test well, but this is too much. He scored in the 7th percentile in the math section. SEVENTH! He only got 7/38 questions right. His math teacher recommended him for advanced geometry this year, how does he score in the 7th percentile?!
The school sent a detailed score report that showed all of his answers and the correct answers along with the test booklet he had on that day. I am terrible at math and I was able to answer some of the questions correctly. I asked him about a few of them and he said that the way the questions were worded was confusing. He's able to answer them correctly when you ask the questions directly, so where is the disconnect?
His scores in critical reading and writing weren't much better. He scored in the 11th and 36th percentile respectively. I just don't understand. This will seriously hamper his college options. I don't see how any measure of SAT prep will help him.
He's currently taking advanced geometry, advanced English, and AP European History and is an A & B student.

How can there be such a disparity between his grades and his test performance?
What do I do?
I want to cry again.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Guru

What are the PSATs? A pretest of sorts for the SAT? I only took the SAT.

How does he feel? That's probably what I'd be most concerned about right now. If he recognizes the need to improve, then great. There are things you can do. If he's cool about it (assuming he's not just playing it cool to save face), then I'd be concerned.

And even if this is his very best, it will be okay. I am successful despite worse math scores. Yes, you read that right: worse.

ETA:
Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Some people are just lousy test takers but really bright. People shine in different ways.

Are you hoping that he goes directly to a university? I was able to go to junior college first, then onto a university all without having taken the SATs (I was in homeschool, and it never dawned on me to take it). Plus, it'll save him/you money. And, perhaps a light bulb may go off or he just may mature where he can understand wording better, or become a better test taker, etc.

But if the goal is that your son attends a university right out of high school, then I can certainly understand the stress.

How does he do on tests in school?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
, heart. Maybe schedule an appointment with you, son, and his guidance counselor?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
Before I started looking at the results in detail, I assumed that he was just blowing it off. That he didn't really try and didn't understand how important the test is. Granted, the PSAT is no big deal essentially, but it's a gauge for the SAT. He is pretty far below the benchmarks for his grade.

@Peachy, he does plan to go directly to university because he plans to play football. We're hoping for a scholarship. He also has West Point on his list, but I don't know that it will be an option now, I'll take CzaCza's advice and talk to his counselor. He generally struggles on tests in school. His AP Euro teacher discussed it with me during Parent/Teacher conferences. He thought my son wasn't studying because he's performing well in every other aspect of the class. It's like his brain stops working when he sits down to test.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
This doesn't help you, but this is exactly why test scores should not be used to evaluate teachers!

Could he sign up for an SAT prep class? I feel like those classes specifically teach you how to navigate the test.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Groupie

NJ
The first time I took the SAT I got a 1640 (out of 2400). After studying with the book, I got up to 2210. The SAT is not an intelligence test---taking the test is a skill in itself. He can definitely get it up and make good strides if he wants to.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Multitudinous

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but is this the same son who used profanity in an email to a teacher when he was accused of changing grades in the computer?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but is this the same son who used profanity in an email to a teacher when he was accused of changing grades in the computer?
Oh Thank you Caesar! I needed that. THAT was a good one.

I wish my child would.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Guru

That was Cheer's son.

Tags
freaking, parent