A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers

Old 12-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Rookie

Michigan
Substitute Teacher
Classes you won't sub for?

I'm curious if I'm the only picky one out there. I don't mind subbing for general ed or academic subjects, but I will no longer sub in High School (I'm only certified K-8 anyway), and I am VERY hesitant to accept any special ed subbing assignments, or ISS (in-school suspension) assignments. These are because of my grade-level certification, I know that special ed is emotionally exhausting for me, and the ISS kids were already kicked out of someone else's class, which means they'll likely be harder to handle.

Aside from that, though, I'm hesitant to sub for special classes such as gym, music, art, and computers. Is this the case for anyone else? I've only accepted gym and music (vocal and band) subbing from teachers I personally know because I'm a bit nervous about what caliber of plans I'll get, and those are subjects where I don't have the skill to improvise. I've been too reluctant to accept Art class subbing at all. Am I alone out there? Is it weird that subbing for Art is more intimidating for me than music or gym? I guess I just don't know what is expected when subbing in art? I mean... do they still use the pottery wheels and other equipment, or do they stick to drawing?

Other than that, I have one specific teacher I won't sub for, but that is based on my experience there.

So, do you have classes (not teachers) you won't sub for? And Why? Please, no bashing anyone... this isn't about individual classrooms, teachers, or students. It's about grade levels or types of classes or subjects

Old 12-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Maven

MICHIGAN
Kindergarten Teacher
I subbed everything. I was nervous about SpEd at first, but I actually loved it. A lot of my jobs were SpEd. I enjoyed all grade levels and subjects. I subbed a whole week for an advanced computer programming teacher. I had no idea what they were doing- ever!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I wouldn't sub for: PE, Kindergarten

Prefer not to: 1-3rd grade, but would if there was nothing else

Have done one mild/moderate spec. ed, would give it a try, it was ok. Did a severe sped ed class, loved it!

I would do music, but not with students taking out instruments, etc. Wouldn't know what to do with that and wouldn't want to be responsible. When I subbed a music class for a week we did regular class work about composers, it was great.

Wouldn't have problem with or other electives.
Anything 6th grade and up is ok.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
If the school is widely known for its music program, as some of the middle schools and high schools are in my area, the plans for a higher-level performance class may very well call for the sub to serve as the certificated body of record while a student effectively runs the rehearsal. I know of at least one middle school where that has been the standard procedure. In such a case there's really no reason not to follow the plans.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I didn't say I wouldn't follow plans. I would just make sure I know what I'm getting into before I accept the job (know the teacher, or have prior communication, etc)
Old 12-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Makes sense, too, Linguist, and I wasn't intending a correction for you but raising another consideration for the community, if that makes sense.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 AM
Comrade

China
1st Grade ESL
Won't sub for metal or wood working classes anymore. In my district they don't lock the equipment up and students feel that having a sub means that they need to play with all the dangerous equipment while the teacher is away. No thank you!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:37 AM
Companion

I used to avoid HS jobs (still have never subbed in a HS). I'm certified k-6, I'm young and SHORT, and although that probably shouldn't matter...I was scared!

I also was usually hesistant to accept music, art, gym, etc. and special Ed. However, I'm currently a building sub, and I am required wherever they need me for the day. Now, it helps that I know the kids and teachers, and I can usually see the plans/ talk to the teacher the day before. But in my experience, those special areas usually understand that many subs aren't experts in that area, so the plans tend to be pretty easy to follow.

And subbing in special Ed has become one of my favorite places to be! But again, I know the kids. Usually though, there are plenty of paras in those rooms anyway...they're verrryyy helpful!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
The closest I ever got to subbing elementary school was as the librarian for a district's joint elementary / middle school facility. I could handle reading a couple of silly stories with lots of voices and then running an activity before sending them back to class. However, I could not handle an entire day with small children and knew better than to attempt it.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Comrade

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnfiddle View Post
The closest I ever got to subbing elementary school was as the librarian for a district's joint elementary / middle school facility. I could handle reading a couple of silly stories with lots of voices and then running an activity before sending them back to class. However, I could not handle an entire day with small children and knew better than to attempt it.
Ditto, only replace librarian with elementary music for my sister. I ran instrumental lessons and then any general music sing along type things, the music student teacher from across the hall came over ran those. The kids were so fascinated that I can play the flute and look like my sisters twin they thought I was awesome.

Other than that I stay away from elementary. I also avoid elective classes at any level--mostly art, PE, and music.

Tags
classes