A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 12-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Fanatic

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Classroom chores?

Fred Jones talks about getting students to do classroom chores.

I've found that if you expect them to do it from the start or act like it's nothing special, kids have no problem putting up chairs, putting away books, etc. if it's taught as classroom procedure.

Currently my kids put up chairs at the end of the day, get their books, and put them away, and grab their own papers at the beginning of the day.

If I have lunch detention students I make them clean the lab glassware, or sweep the floor, or just sit silently for 15 minutes. (I have to confess that sometimes I'm harsher on days when I need the lab cleaned so I can get some students in to do the work. )

Do you have students do chores in your class? I find it's sometimes difficult to do if you have multiple periods and it's only one period doing certain chores because it's the end of the day.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Groupie

NJ
I don't really have chores that need to be done in my classroom.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
Since our school doesn't have a cafeteria the kids have to eat in my classroom. Every day certain kids are assigned to clean up after lunch which basically means- wiping down the desks, ordering the desks and sweeping. If they missed a day and I had to clean, they had to clean for the next week.

Also, since we have 15-20 minute breaks between each class I can hold them until my room is clean. Which I always do. The desks need to look exactly like when they came in and usually two kids have to sweep. The ones that volunteer to sweep always get let out first. I don't know if they ever caught onto that!

When I taught in the USA I would always give "bonus points" to those who helped clean. I never actually gave them points, but they didn't know!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I always found that students love to do things when I ask them.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Guru

I don't think it's kind to have students work during their lunch.

I do have some volunteers help sometimes...it helps me but more importantly it gives them a sense of community and accomplishment.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
In sixth grade, my students had quite a few jobs. I had a few students who kept the library organized, reshelved books, and assisted students finding books. I have students who run messages around the school (especially to the office). I have students pass back papers or pass out papers. Students who empty our recycling bin, clean our white board, wash desks, put up chairs, and pick up our floor. I also had a student write down assignments for absent students and locker monitors (students who checked for students needing a locker clean out).
Old 12-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Fanatic

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
I don't think it's kind to have students work during their lunch.

I do have some volunteers help sometimes...it helps me but more importantly it gives them a sense of community and accomplishment.
I have students who volunteer too! I was very touched when a student decided to come in and help one of my detention kids with the clean-up. She ended up doing most of the work while the detention student mostly tried shirking the work and complained a lot. I rewarded her with some Christmas booty I've been getting.

That said, the students who are cleaning during their lunch have detention, meaning that it's supposed to be a consequence. I'm not too concerned about whether or not they're losing their socialization time--if that's what you meant about being unkind. I always allow them time to eat before they start their detention anyway, and they have to fill their detention for 15 minutes which is about half the lunch period. Some decide to clean first or serve for 15 minutes first and then eat outside with their friends and some decide to eat with me and then serve their 15 minutes.

Also our school doesn't allow us to keep students before class, or after school either, so this is really the only time I can keep them in as a consequence.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Multitudinous

I expect my students to clean up after themselves. Before class is over, I ask them to check the floor under and around their desks and to pick up any trash or stray papers that might be there. I also tell them to either leave the textbooks on the desks or place them on the bookshelves (depending on whether the next class is using them). In general, my students this year are fairly tidy, so it's not a big deal. In years past, they've been really messy and it was difficult to get them to clean up after themselves.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Guru

I don't mind them losing socialization time at all...I just think they deserve a break, too. Seems they get a long lunch, though.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Fanatic

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
I don't mind them losing socialization time at all...I just think they deserve a break, too. Seems they get a long lunch, though.
Yeah, 30 minutes. They have a brunch as well, and 5 minute passing periods. I would agree that taking up all 30 minutes of their lunch time would be a little mean. It seems that a lot of teachers do that though at my school. The students are always surprised when I tell them they can leave after 15 minutes.

Although if they dilly dally with the clean-up and are just trying to waste time to use up all 15 minutes without getting anything done, I let them know they can't leave until it's all cleaned up.

Sometimes I tell them that if they can finish it up to my specifications before 15 minutes that they can leave early.

Tags
chores, classroom