A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Second Grade

Old 12-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Comrade

Somewhere in the South
Reading Intervention/MTA Instructor
Judy Blume

Hi there! I read Judy Blume books LONG, LONG ago so I've forgotten if they are appropriate for a second grader. I have a student who bought me the "Fudge" series for my classroom library. These books are on her level as she is an advanced reader and I wanted to make sure she would be able to read them.

While I am asking this question, what other books do you suggest for higher-level readers that are also appropriate? I have students in second grade reading between 4th-6th grade levels. Thus far I've given them Number the Stars, The Giver, Island of the Blue Dolphins, and Because of Winn-Dixie. Right now they are basically "rotating" through these books, but I'll need a new group soon. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Are these readers comprehending deeply in the books you lIsted? Id question second graders having enough background knowledge or maturity to deal with 'The Giver' or the historical nature and topics of 'Number the Stars'. Perhaps they could read some 'classics'...Alice in Wonderland, Misty of Chincoteague, Wizard of Oz...
Old 12-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Guru

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
If they can read Number the Stars and Island of the Blue Dolphins, they can read Judy Blume. Both of those are typically 6th grade books.
Books by E.B. White, Roald Dahl, Beverly Cleary, Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, and Laura Ingalls Wilder.
The Indian in the Cupboard, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, Savvy, Scumble, The Lemonade War series, more of Kate DiCamillo's books, some Andrew Clements books, will also work.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Giraffe's suggestions are good ones and more appropriate for second grade sensitivities than some of the titles they've been reading. Also, consider carefully the subject matter in Judy Blume books...there's quite a range 'Fudge' books, yes. 'Are you there, God, it's me, Margaret', no.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Comrade

Somewhere in the South
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
Are these readers comprehending deeply in the books you lIsted? Id question second graders having enough background knowledge or maturity to deal with 'The Giver' or the historical nature and topics of 'Number the Stars'. Perhaps they could read some 'classics'...Alice in Wonderland, Misty of Chincoteague, Wizard of Oz...
Yes, I have a couple of them who did comprehend "The Giver" and "Number the Stars." These books are not ones that all of them are reading.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Comrade

Somewhere in the South
Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffe326 View Post
If they can read Number the Stars and Island of the Blue Dolphins, they can read Judy Blume. Both of those are typically 6th grade books.
Books by E.B. White, Roald Dahl, Beverly Cleary, Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, and Laura Ingalls Wilder.
The Indian in the Cupboard, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, Savvy, Scumble, The Lemonade War series, more of Kate DiCamillo's books, some Andrew Clements books, will also work.
Thanks for the author suggestions!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Groupie

Number the Stars?? The Giver?? I read The Giver (my favorite book of all time) to fifth graders and felt compelled to skip over some parts. I'd NEVER recommend either of these books to a second grader...Have you read them lately?

From commonsense.org book reviews about The Giver:
Recommended for age 11; What parents need to know: Parents need to know that there is a disturbing scene in which Jonas witnesses his father euthanizing a baby by injecting it with a needle in the head. There are also mild sexual references. But the overall story is riveting -- and the book is one of the most thought-provoking novels for children ever written.

They recommend Number the Stars for age 9 and say to parents: Parents need to know that Lois Lowry's sense of timing and choice of details put readers in the middle of the story. A riveting read, but your kids may have questions afterward.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Comrade

Somewhere in the South
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie View Post
Number the Stars?? The Giver?? I read The Giver (my favorite book of all time) to fifth graders and felt compelled to skip over some parts. I'd NEVER recommend either of these books to a second grader...Have you read them lately?
Only one of my students read "The Giver." He is reading and comprehending at a high 6th grade, possibly 7th grade level by now. We discussed the book as he read it. He actually wants to read more Lois Lowry now. Before I introduced him to this book he was only reading those "Fairy" books, which were way below his level.

Also, he is familiar with the Holocaust and Nazi Germany and "Number the Stars" was a book he could identify with.

I don't really feel that these were inappropriate for this particular child. Would I share them with all of my advanced readers? No. I also always check with each child's parents before giving them a book that may seem questionable and his parents both OK'd these two titles.

Thanks for providing me with the website!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
He must be extremely mature and sophisticated for his age. Even at that, I feel compelled to help kids select books at their reading level that do not have such mature subject matter. just because a kid is capable of reading a particular book doesn't mean they necessarily should. I'm anti 'book banning' but I also feel there's enough time to read those books at a later time when good readers can comprehend and connect on a meaningful and mature level that eight year olds simply don't have yet.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Habitué

What about the "Little House on the Prairie" books? I think I read those around 4th grade....

Tags
blume, judy