A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Rookie

Ohio
High School Science
iPads in the classroom

I apologize, but I don't know where else in the forum to post this question. I teach at a large metro high school. Next year, the BOE has approved a plan where all students (yes, all 1700+ students) will be given iPads for school use. Other than the obvious concerns of allowing teenagers full Internet access in school, I don't know how to integrate the iPads into my daily lessons.

I currently use a system of guided notes where students fill-in blanks on a paper copy of my Power Points. Have any of you had experience with this? Any ideas as to how to make my guided notes "interactive" on an iPad?

Thanks for any help!

Old 12-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Groupie

Midwest
Special Education Teacher
I believe there is an application called Quick office or something like that for the iPads. It may have a note type taking feature. we have ipads that we can use on a "check out" basis. I mainly use it for research purposes with students.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Habitué

California
High school biology
I like the app Notability. I can save my PowerPoints as PDFs and then the students can open them in Notability, where they can write on them or type on them. It would work the same as your guided notes, but you'd save all that paper!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
There are some great websites where students can access flash activities that guide them through concepts or allows them to play with things. (i.e. physics computer models, or just animated lessons with quizzes at the end)
Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 AM
Newcomer

High School - Computer Science
Hi JW,

Take a deep breath and relax, though things with ipad teaching and learning will change dramatically, there will be more help and resources provided than you would believe - all contained in Apps which come with ipad education bundles - most include provision of a 'network space' for all using them.

If this sound in any way rude it is not intended - just the way I write!

You need to change the way you think and teach. because using ipads encourages independent learning. So, instead of working up and providing resources for the kids, work backwards - the kids can provide you with their learning all nicely evidenced in a presentation they put together on the subject they are studying.

You point them in the direction you want and then manage their learning journey as they gather information, images and graphs etc, to use in their presentation.

The days where you slogged over a hot laptop putting together resources are going to be over! With this system students can virtually explore the world online, visit museums, art galleries and libraries around the world, they can easily access rich, multimedia information resources themselves - or with you.

Kids in class can also connect, communicate and collaborate with people all over the world - set up online exchange 'visits' with an other school in another country - study the geography on video or with a webcam - they can also create and publish to the web - check out Moodle as an option for your school if you don't already use it - best thing since laptops were invented!

The possibilities are endless, but you have to think 'Independent Learners'. I hope this sparked some enthusiasm and calmed your worries a little.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Habitué

Substitute Teacher
What subject? Have you looked into flipped classroom? I love it! A lot of the teachers at my school are starting it and my husband has a couple master's classes this way too. I love the idea even of flipping Social Studies. What if you wanted the lectures and other videos at home and then in class you discussed how the past ties into current events? Or worked on mastery projects, or group activities? The possibilities are endless!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 AM
Rookie

iPads are always a success in my class.

Tags
classroom, ipads