A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Guru

Ridiculous Expectations

I have a parent who just doesn't stop. So who wants to share some of their most ridiculous parent requests, demands, or expectations? Maybe it will make me feel better.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast

NY of course!
Special Education Teacher
Well, one of my students has autism, is non verbal and is functioning on a maybe 2 year old level (he is 13). His parents want us to teach him to talk. Yeah, I will get right on that
Old 12-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Cohort

Adjacent To Your House
Undergraduate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherNY View Post
Well, one of my students has autism, is non verbal and is functioning on a maybe 2 year old level (he is 13). His parents want us to teach him to talk. Yeah, I will get right on that
Old 12-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Cohort

California
4th Grade Teacher
Well our school allows parents to run the show, so I'm expected to manage a classroom without implementing any punishments or consequences....that's been real fun.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Comrade

CA
Special Education Teacher
I am deaf and do not use my voice. I had a parent that wanted me to speak with her deaf child.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Devotee

East Coast
Primary Elementary Teacher
Last year I was extremely irritated with the mother of Little Johnny, the most violent, emotionally disturbed boy I have ever encountered.

He used to scream at me, curse at the class, intentionally hurt other children and he was a danger to me, the class and himself. Nothing could reach this boy. He was extremely intelligent and when he had control of his behavior, he was an academic superstar and great. However, those times grew fewer and fewer until he was failing all subjects because he would refuse to work, preferring to cause a non-stop disruption.

I don't believe he was being abused, but had a chemical imbalance and felt left out because Mom had remarried and he had a half brother that probably got a lot more attention.

He was also VERY large (I'm 5'6 and he came almost to my shoulder and weighed well over 100lbs of muscle, not fat) and was strong enough to throw chairs and turn over desks.

After he grabbed my arm, held on tight, then threw himself to the floor nearly wrenching my shoulder out the socket, I was advised by the administration to call the office the second he started going off.

At first they were reluctant, then after he tore a chunk out of another child's arm, they began to suspend him left and right.

His mother hated when he got suspended because it meant he was at home all day with her (she was a stay at home parent) so she would beg me not to tell the P when he acted up. She asked if it could be our secret and if instead of me calling the office when he was kicking my desk and screaming at me, if I could just send a note home.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Phenom

Disney country
Back in the saddle again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em_Catz View Post

His mother hated when he got suspended because it meant he was at home all day with her (she was a stay at home parent) so she would beg me not to tell the P when he acted up. She asked if it could be our secret and if instead of me calling the office when he was kicking my desk and screaming at me, if I could just send a note home.
And try explaining to the P when the boy broke your arm or leg and it was supposed to be a "secret"?!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Comrade

1. A daily, detailed list of every incident that happened each day. The request for the exact words spoken by every person involved was the real kicker!
2. Can we set up a plan so my child knows you like him? What are you going to do so my child knows you like him?
3. Can you make sure my child brushes their teeth well after lunch? They have an appointment at the dentist this afternoon. Said child was in the 6th grade! Was I supposed to look in the child's mouth? Yuck!!
4. We will be in another country for 6 weeks. Can you gather all of my child's work so she can complete it all before we leave? We don't want to be bothered with school work while on vacation. They asked on Thursday and were leaving on Sunday!!!!
5. Can you pack my child's book bag each day so he doesn't forget anything?
6. Could you ask the bus driver to come 10 minutes earlier? It would make it much easier for me to get to work on time.
Oh, I could go on, but I need to head to bed. Don't let people get you down!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
I had a child in my room earlier this year with severe emotional disturbance. Luckily, she moved...but those first couple of months were horrendous. On top of the fact that the child spent 80% of her day running around the room terrorizing things/people, I had to fill out a daily log each half hour giving her a score of 0-2 for 6 different behavior areas as well as write comments about why she got a certain score. This was made on one of those three-copy sheets so that one could be sent home with mom. On top of that, mom wanted me to write in a "back and forth book" about the child's day. When I wrote a couple of sentences and said, "See checkout sheet for specific behaviors" she would ask me to literally rewrite the same information in the "back and forth book." I couldn't e-mail b/c she wanted it to be in this book and my planning period is first thing in the morning, so there was no way to write in it when I wasn't with students. Then it got to the point where she wanted a phone call at lunch and a phone call at the end of the day... the kicker was when the child supposedly wasn't bringing any of her work home and the mom literally asked me if I could drive it to their home so the child wouldn't have to be responsible for bringing it.

I also dodged a situation last summer when I was working for ESY. My boss had asked me if I was interested in tutoring a high school student with Down's Syndrome. She said even though he was in HS he'd be on about the same level as my kids and I could use my materials during the year. The pay was excellent and it was only a couple of hours a week, so I said yes. I e-mailed the parent to set up a schedule and I couldn't believe what she sent back! Several week long vacations, part time job, various camps, etc...the kid had no time for tutoring whatsoever! I asked our SLP about it since she worked with the family at the HS and she told me to get out of it if I could. Apparently even though the child was learning on a 2-3rd grade level, the parents insisted on having him in all AP classes at the high school. They also refused speech services because they didn't want him pulled out of academics to receive them. I can't imagine what working with them would have been like!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Maven

USA
3rd Grade Teacher
I don't know where my perfect little Johnny learned to do that - I know he didn't learn it at home! This said to "explain" the following behaviors:
  • cursing like a sailor
  • (scuse the expression) humping books, chairs, other children
  • writing on books
  • spreading feces on the bathroom walls
and no, I'm not exaggerating!

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
― Dr. Seuss

Tags
expectations, ridiculous