A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
Standardized Testing in Early Childhood

So tomorrow my 5 and 6-year old students start their standardized testing. Five days of up to 2 hours per day sitting down in their seats bubbling answers to questions. The purpose of this test is to identify students who are possibly GT. The higher-ups believe the purpose of this test is to have data on us teachers. My problem with that: 1) we have only taught them for 3 1/2 months. 2) The test is not based on the curriculum that has been taught.

In an effort to prepare the kids we are expected to teach a year's curriculum in 3 months. Yes, I'm serious. "Just introduce everything and you can come back to it and reteach it starting in January"-that's what we are told. I am very vocal about my protest to the way this data is used (we typically have a meeting where we are berated for such low scores, plus it's posted with all the school data-even though they take their tests in May). However, I am told "some schools can get higher scores!". *sigh*

So wish us luck-it's going to be a loooonnngggg week!

Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Fanatic

Michigan
Good luck. Have you tried showing the higher ups research on standardized testing in early childhood? Doesn't work for me. Or what about checking NAEYC site for information to share?

Give them lots of stretching breaks. We did one last May, at least the kids had the whole year. They did much better then I thought they would.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Rookie

KY
1st Grade Teacher
Those poor kiddies! In an effort to have high test scores, we have totally turned our backs on what's best for children. I feel your pain. Best of luck!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Companion

TX
Preschool Teacher
Ugh, that makes me so sad to hear.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Comrade

95 North
Early Childhood Teacher
That is very sad to hear!!
Sounds like my situation; standardized testing on three/four year olds!!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
We do the NWEA MAP testing starting in grade 1. Since its online and self adjusting, the little kids don't have issues with it and lots of good information can be gathered...I understand and empathize with your frustrations though! Too much testing for all...and too much focus put on the tests.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Fanatic

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
We do the NWEA MAP testing starting in grade 1. Since its online and self adjusting, the little kids don't have issues with it and lots of good information can be gathered...I understand and empathize with your frustrations though! Too much testing for all...and too much focus put on the tests.
We will be completing the MAP test starting in January for our kinders. They've had maybe an hour in the computer lab to date. We did it a couple of years ago in June. Mine didn't do very well, not because they didn't know the answer, but because of either not understanding how the test works or poor mouse control.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Connoisseur

Pre-K
I do not have testing for my Pre-K class, BUT I hope that what I am teaching them is prepping them for what I call the GIOGLITS. It's "Get it or get lost in the system!"
Rebel1
Old 12-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
We do the NWEA MAP testing starting in grade 1. Since its online and self adjusting, the little kids don't have issues with it and lots of good information can be gathered.
That's a difference too-because it's so developmentally inappropriate it's not typically very accurate. One-on-one oral tests are much more meaningful at this age. The results don't really tell us anything we don't know-our kids aren't really reading yet, yep, we knew that. Those skills really start to kick in in Feb/March-if they would just give us a few more months......
Old 12-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Hm. One cannot help wondering whether the district and/or state has chosen a means of identification that's sure to underrepresent the number of children eligible for the service. One might get an interesting lawsuit out of that.

Tags
childhood, early, standardized, testing