A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Connoisseur

MA
High School Math Teacher
Has a student ever had a crush on you?

I have a student that comes by after school to volunteer to help out, that comes to extra help a lot (even though he has no questions), and that likes to hang out after class to talk about things (not related to math). At first, I didn't think anything of it, but I'm starting to wonder if he has a crush on me (or maybe I'm just being paranoid). I'm not sure how to handle this situation. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP & 2 Other Jobs
Once back when I was a substitute & used to sub quite often for this one teacher, there was a 2nd grade boy who'd say to me, "I love you" whenever I'd work with him. I even worked with him a bit the following year & he behaved regularly as if he never said those things in the past...he was growing up! He was a cute kid & always followed directions.

If any other kid's had a crush on me, I didn't know it.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Habitué

New York
HS Mathematics, Performing Arts
When I was doing my fieldwork last semester, my good friend's younger brother was in one of my classes. My friend, through her brother, found out that a student put a picture of me teaching on Facebook. She sent me the link and a bunch of students had commented on it, mostly harmlessly, but three or four had posted specifically about my, erm, appeal. Of course I had to act like I knew nothing about it so it ended up being kind of awkward especially when those students would come to extra help.

As long as he doesn't push the boundaries, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Fanatic

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
I'm the only 20 something male in the school working with hormonal 13 year olds and I don't think I'm hideous so yeah, I've had numerous student crushes even though it's only my first real year. (Had some when I interned too.) I could be wrong but I think I've even had boys that have had crushes on me, judging by an awkward conversation a student began having with me.

I always make sure my door is wide open, and sometimes if I only have one student in my classroom, I will talk to them out in the hallway. It's par for the course by now and the girls who were flirty at the beginning of the year know I'm all business by now and that even if I look young, I'm really not interested in being their friend, and am instead their mentor.

I knew a teacher in High School that would flirt back with the girls and he would constantly do inappropriate things even though he was married.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Cohort

Adjacent To Your House
HS Senior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin5 View Post
I knew a teacher in High School that would flirt back with the girls and he would constantly do inappropriate things even though he was married.
I know two teachers like that in my school.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Comrade

California
6th Grade Math/Science
It could be a crush, but it could also be a student who is craving attention and has "latched on" to you, for one reason or another

Either way, definitely keep your classroom door open at all times. Other than that, just keep it professional!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:02 AM
Groupie

Costa Rica
Science
I had a kid who would always say "so Ms. W, when are we going on a date?" I would either respond "that's inappropriate" or "I don't date children" depending on whether I was grumpy or not.

He wasn't serious. I didn't think it was a big deal. He was a real class clown.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 AM
Connoisseur

Washington
3rd Grade Teacher
I've got one who wants me to be his mom. He even calls me mom...or tries to, and tries to convince the other children that I am his mother. (third grade)
Old 12-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Connoisseur

NC
Kindergarten Teacher
I had a fifth grader who wasn't doing his homework and was struggling academically. Suddenly he started doing his homework (his mom said he did it as soon as he got home) and improved in academic areas. I asked his mom what the secret was, and she said he had a crush on me! Guess it worked to his advantage! LOL!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Comrade

Michigan
Art Teacher - K-5
Yes, and I'm still shocked by it. I had a high school placement and there were 3 art teachers. I was primarily with one teacher but observed the others, and there was a boy in the other class that had a crush on me. He would always say hello and then he was in the hallway when I was leaving the school one day and started asking me if I was single and what I was doing after I graduated. I told him that I was in the school as a teacher, and he needed to treat me like one. That the questions he was asking were inappropriate. He said I was just so beautiful and I repeated that he needed to treat me like a teacher. I felt incredibly mean but I wasn't expecting to have to deal with that and my main cooperating teacher said I did the right thing. I didn't observe his class after that, which was probably the wrong thing to do but I didn't want it to come up again.

Tags
crush, student