A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Newcomer

CA
Masters+Credential program questions

Hi all,

I have been accepted to a couple schools to earn my MA in education and single subject credential in social science. My choices are Pepperdine, LMU, and Claremont Graduate University. Can anyone who has studied at these schools give me any insight? They all seem to have their pros and cons. At first, CGU was my first choice since their teacher internship program seems to be the most rigorous and best way to train teachers, but it's the most expensive ($1,600/unit!!!), far away (I live near downtown LA) and I'll have to quit my job since I'll be student teaching the whole time I'm there. They did award me 40% of my tuition though.

LMU and Pepperdine are about even, but Pepperdine has only offered me 3,200$ in grants per year (it's about $30K+ a year), which is less than what I expected, and I haven't heard from LMU yet. I feel Pepperdine's education school is a diploma mill as they didn't personally call me or ask for an interview (the other 2 did), which I was a little put off by. Both schools will allow me keep my job which will be very important since I need to support my wife.

Any thoughts and insights would be much appreciated!!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Welcome to A to Z, johnnyroyal. Why are you so insistent on getting a master's now?

If you haven't already taught (and possibly even if you have), the advantage of a program that gets you into the classroom sooner is that it generally also means you get into the classroom more, while you still have the support of the education program and the master teacher(s) under whom you'll be student teaching. You've already noted the downside, of course, which is loss of income - though I do need to note that both Pepperdine and LMU will require at least some student teaching of you, so at some point you'll still need to give up your job.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Newcomer

CA
Hi Teachergroupie,
Thanks for the reply and tips. I want to get my master's to make myself more marketable (crossing my fingers!) In addition, I would eventually want to be in an educational setting that's not necessarily limited to public schools and classrooms, such as tutoring companies (where I work as the operations manager) or educational consulting, administration, curriculum development, etc. Would you suggest getting just my credential first?

I agree that CGU's program, because it immerses students in a classroom quicker and longer, is the strongest. LMU requires just at the end of the program for 4 months, while Pepperdine would require varying degrees of classroom experience throughout the program.

Just wondering if the $$$ to go to these schools will produce big payoff
Old 11-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Credential plus classroom experience is nearly always a good place to start; the master's coursework usually makes more sense once one has taught (and, while tutoring involves many of the same skill and knowledge sets, classroom teaching really is its own animal).

Ask your tax advisor about the ins and outs of getting the master's now vs. waiting till you're in a classroom.

If what you're in this for is a big payoff, classroom teaching is almost certainly the wrong place to be. With that said, if your ambitions lie in consulting and the like, a big-name degree might better open corporate doors for you. It probably won't make a significant difference when it comes to getting you into a classroom, however, except perhaps at the tonier sort of private school.

Tags
cgu, claremont, credential, credential or ma, lmu, masters, pepperdine, program, questions