A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 11-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Companion

Texas
2nd Grade Teacher
Running Records

Don't think poorly of me, but I have yet to do a running record on any of my students. I guess I didn't realize I was supposed to be doing them until I was in a training on Tuesday.

We did IRIs at the beginning of the school year, which we received no training on how to do them - just the bare bones (i.e. have students read the sight words to determine what passage they read, then as they read the passage time them for 1 minute to determine fluency. Do a wpm count, then ask them comprehension questions related to the passage).

I feel like such a horrible teacher, but honestly I've been given no training on how to do anything. I feel like every time I think I am "getting it" I am thrown another into another downward spiral.

Running records look awfully complicated. Furthermore, the training I went to delved into meaning miscues, semantic (I think??) miscues, and visual miscues.

I guess my question is: How do I find the time to administer a running record? I do not have an aide and the only time I would be able to do anything like this would be during literacy workstations, but that would mean giving up small groups in order to do RRs. HELP!

Old 11-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Enthusiast

2nd Grade Teacher
Running records do take away from literacy instruction, but they provide so much helpful information to guide your instruction. It's a bit of a catch 22. See if you can do a shorter small group session and then do 1-2 running records on your students while they finish up their workstations. Also, if your students do silent reading that's a great time. I manage to do them on my grade 1s regularly, but I do have to sacrifice some instruction time to do it.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Companion

Texas
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissScrimmage View Post
Running records do take away from literacy instruction, but they provide so much helpful information to guide your instruction. It's a bit of a catch 22. See if you can do a shorter small group session and then do 1-2 running records on your students while they finish up their workstations. Also, if your students do silent reading that's a great time. I manage to do them on my grade 1s regularly, but I do have to sacrifice some instruction time to do it.
How often do you do RRs? I could do half of my students during silent reading (We have a scheduled DEAR time every day), however this time is only with our homeroom class so I would have to figure out how to work in my non-homeroomies.

My small group instruction is only 15 minutes, so I am not sure how I can cut that back any further...

What do you use for your RR template? I am very daunted by the whole thing...it makes me a bit anxious - all those symbols and brackets and now the MSV thing we learned on Tuesday...
Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 AM
Phenom

Western USA
K-6 Sped Resource Teacher
I don't do running records. We have to do DIBELS every 2 weeks. For me, that is plenty of data. I know where my students are reading just by what they are showing me in reading group anyway- how fluent they are, what type of cues they are using, etc. Personally, I feel that we spend so much instructional time testing...I wouldn't add in anymore unless I was specifically required to, or if I wanted to see something specific for one student for some reason.

Is someone telling you that you have to do them for every student, or just showing you how to do them as a tool? Unless you're required to turn something in for each student, I would just choose a few students that you're concerned about and just start with RR's for them. As for a template, I'd go with whatever they used in your training.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:24 AM
Aficionado

USA
So, a few general thoughts and a few more specific ones. First, there may be a larger issue, which is your preparation to teach reading. Typically, part of being trained on how to teach reading includes an assessment component, which would include a reading inventory, running record, or error/miscue analysis with DIBELS or similar - basically, a chance to examine multiple components of the child's reading behavior. I guess I'm wondering if you are just unfamiliar with the IRI specifically, or with reading assessment more broadly, or even more broadly with reading instruction as a whole? The reason I ask is that if you are struggling with the whole package, you may want to consider some more in-depth training such as taking more coursework, doing some pretty hefty reading, or seeking out an in-depth PD course. If you're just confused with the running records, that is a much more specific problem - still has a lot of moving parts and will probably require more than reading a few posts on AtoZ, but more management than not having a handle on the whole process.

More specifically in terms of your time question, it seems like you've got some ideas. The main idea is to find independent work for the rest of the kids to do (whether that be centers, independent seatwork, etc.) while you work individually with each child. Sounds like I'm just repeated what others have said in this area.

In terms of frequency, there is a difference between a more involved reading inventory, running record, or thorough error/miscue analysis and just collecting some updated ORF (oral reading fluency) data via DIBELS. In terms of the full package, I'd do it once at the beginning of the year, and then as needed after that (e.g., if you don't know what a child is struggling with, if your instruction isn't working). However, as waterfall mentioned, your informal observations of each child's reading skills during small group time will give you enough information from session to session as to the child's growth with specific reading skills.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:30 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
We use running records monthly with most students and weekly or biweekly with our struggling readers (not daily). Using your silent reading time is a great time to work on running records. Anyway to switch classes with your team teacher for this time once or twice a week?

Do your students read in your small groups? If so, you can take a running record as they are reading. Just note what mistakes they are making and how they are correcting mistakes.

You can use a variety of things for a template. I often use a copy of the text I will have a student read. Then I can just mark on the text. You could also just write on a blank piece of paper (mark down each mistake that they make and what the actual word is).
Old 11-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
We have about one a month for each child. I can do a few during reading workshop, but I don't do them every day during reading workshop, I try to focus on conferences and listening in at that time. What I do is listen in on one child's reading while the kids all read the book at the same time during guided reading. With some groups I have one student come over and do a running record, then call the rest of the group for a lesson. With my highest readers (I usually have a few male or to early second grade levels) I only listen in for part of a book, around 100 words. I use the template from Marie Clay's observation survey, but there are lots on the Internet.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

2nd Grade Teacher
I use a running record kit - PM Benchmarks, which comes with levelled texts that I use to assess.

If you don't have a kit, Marie Clay has a blank running record form you could use with any text.

Worst case scenario, get a blank piece of paper.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
I teach pre-first, and e actually don't start running records until January. Once you get started doing it, it will make more sense. The data from running records is very helpful, and it allows you to visually see the progress the kids are making, which is nice.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Reading A-Z has a great overview of running records/miscue analysis:

http://www.readinga-z.com/guided/runrecord.html

Tags
records, running