A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Cohort

5th Grade Teacher
tonsillectomy in toddler

Hi All,

DS is sick, again, with tonsilitis for the third time in the last two months. His last bout was about three weeks ago. Last time we were at the doc's he said if it happens again within the next month or so we might look at taking his tonsils out. So, this is within a month. We go to the doc tomorrow, and I'm anxious. He's so little - only two. That scares the crap out of me, but he gets so sick. 104 fever, cough, throwing up, can't eat, etc. And, on top of him getting sick, he has to take antiobiotics to get over it, which aren't good to be taking every time he turns around. My nephew has his taken out when he was three because he kept getting tonsilitis and ear infections, and he was like a different kiddo.

Anyone else's LO gone through this?

Beth

Old 11-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Aficionado

New Jersey, US
Looking for a job
Antibiotics are perfectly fine to be taken when ill, as long as:
1. The illness requires antibiotics
2. The antibiotics used are varied (to avoid making an illness resistant to an antibiotic)

With a tonsillectomy (or any otolaryngological operation) in the toddler years, it is difficult.

I had my adenoids removed at 3. From what I know, it took a short amount of time for them to be removed, recovery was a few days.

Once the tonsils are out, he will feel better, tonsils love to store diseases and other icky stuff, so once they are gone, his health should improve drastically.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:48 AM
Fanatic

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
My eldest had her tonsils and adenoids out at two, and was a different (in a good way!) kid after that.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Phenom

Disney country
Retired and sleeping late!
My son had his tonsils and adenoids out at 4. He had typically suffered from 10-12 ear infections per year even after taking prophylactic medication for months. He had a short recovery period and had only one infection in the next three years.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Cohort

5th Grade Teacher
Thanks for sharing the experiences, I greatly appreciate it.

We just got back from the doc, and DS has both croup and tonsilitis this time. He has to take steroids for the croup and antibiotics for the tonsilitis. The doc says he has pustules on his tonsils which are like little pockets that harbor lots of germs and crap. Anyway, she said for us to think about it over the next week, and if we're comfortable with it she'll refer us to an ENT doc. They measure the tonsilitis with a scale from E1 to E4. E1 is normal and E4 means the tonsils are touching. He's at an E3. DH and I really think we're leaning toward having his tonsils out. We both think it will be better in the long run. It's just scary.

Beth
Old 11-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Cohort

Midwest
My now 21-year-old had a T&A when he was young. He had been plagued by infections even after being on a prophylactic dose of antibiotics. He never had another ear infection, so I can attest to the fact that the surgery works!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Enthusiast

California
Vice Principal (K-5)
I got my tonsils out two years ago due to having chronic tonsillitis.

Getting them removed was the best thing I could've done for myself.

I haven't had to suffer with recurrent bouts of tonsillitis since the surgery!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Cohort

USA
My ds now 18 yrs old had his adnoids out at 2yrs because of chronic ear infections. THey left the tonsils and he has not had problems with them. That surgery was his second the first was to clear his tear ducts. When they did the adnoids they also put in ear tubes.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Companion

California
Middle School Science
I had my tonsils removed at 18 months. I was sick all the time and apparently weighhed at 18 months as much as a 12 month old child because it hurt to eat. When they removed my tonsils they were assessed and the doctor said if they hadn't come out I would not have lived much longer. I've been healthy since they came out. I would recommend having them removed if the doctor recommends them removed.

Tags
toddler, tonsillectomy