A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 11-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Connoisseur

MA
High School Math Teacher
If you find out that another teacher is giving a huge test the same day you are...?

Do you move your test to another day?

I tested my Geometry kids on Friday, and they complained that there was a bio test the same day. (Most of the kids in my Honors Geometry class are also in Honors Biology.) I considered moving the test to Monday, but I had planned an activity for before break, so I wanted to get the test out of the way.

My school has a test postponement policy, which states that if a student has 2 or more tests, quizzes, papers, or projects due on the same day, they can move one of them. I just finished grading them, and the grades look alright, but not as good as usual. The median is around an 82, while it's usually an 85.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
If they are in an honors class, I would expect that they could handle two tests on the same day (especially if they had advanced notice).

But if you want, it might be nice if you try to talk with the honors biology teacher when planning tests (as so many students are in both classes).
Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Aficionado

Michigan
What happens during finals? At my son's high school they have 3 finals one day & 2 the next. It's worked out that he's had 2 hard finals, or even 3 on one day & the rest were easy. He's had 2 honors classes in one tri before with both finals on the same day.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Connoisseur

MA
High School Math Teacher
We have 8 periods in a day, and our finals are spread across 4 days. (Period 1 and Period 2 on Monday, Period 3 and 4 on Tuesday, etc.) English finals happen the Friday before to give English teachers more time to grade the essays. So most of our students will have 4 finals spread out over 4 days, but they can have 2 on the same day. But that's expected with finals, and most teachers allow students to move a final up if they want to.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Did they tell you about the bio test on Friday? Or did the students come to you early in the week?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Connoisseur

MA
High School Math Teacher
They told me on Monday.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Groupie

NJ
Nope.

We have school-wide testing days. Math department can only give tests on Tuesdays or Fridays. Each department gets two days, and it is worked out so students can have at most 2 tests per day. Math department shares one test day with the world language department and one with the science department. Kids should be able to deal with 2 tests.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
You definitely don't need to feel the need to move the test, they really should be able to handle it. But if you wanted, you could also have allowed them to come in on their own time to take the test early.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Fanatic

Ohio
Middle/High School English
I would probably move mine.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Aficionado

No, I wouldn't move mine. Students should be able to handle two tests in one day.

Tags
day, find, giving, huge, teacher, test