A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Special Education

Old 11-18-2012, 06:37 AM
Novice

Virginia
Which type of SPED cert is best?

Hello all,

I'm considering getting certified in special ed (I'd like to teach high school). I'm a psych geek so I'm particularly interested in getting an Emotional Disabilities certificate.

I'm wondering -- since this is so specific, does it have worse job prospects than the Cross Categorical certification?

Also, do high school ED teachers have self-contained classrooms (and teach all subjects)? Or do they see students once a day and teach only one subject? I'm confused how it works.

Thank you

Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 AM
Cohort

Pennsylvania
In my state, we only have a generic special ed certification, but I do know that ED is usually not a preferred area to teach and the job market is pretty good for ED.

Self-contained/supplemental will really vary by the district. You might be self-contained and teach all subjects or you could coteach and be a support teacher... it really depends!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
The question really comes down to what you want to do with your certificate. The cross cat certificate will provide more flexibility when looking for a job or if you decide to change career paths.

If you see yourself teaching ED for your entire career, then the ED certificate will help to keep you working with this population.

Each district runs their program differently. Some high schools will run their mild ED programs as resource where the teacher will work with students of all disabilities categories. Other high schools will have a self-contained ED classroom where the teacher will teach all subjects to a group of students (and some students may earn time in the general education classroom). Other high schools have an ED program, where you may teach only one subject to a variety of students with ED. Other high schools may have an emotional support class that you would teach to a variety of students diagnosed with ED.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Novice

Virginia
Ooh, thank you, that is very helpful

Also, would you happen to know whether special ed teachers are certified to teach regular classes? Could I apply for both non-special ed and special-ed high school positions?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
With just a special education certificate, you would not be qualified to teach non-special education classes. However, once you have the special education certificate, you could add endorsements or certificates (whatever your state calls them) to qualify you for teaching a subject area instead.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Novice

Special Education Teacher
Some schools offer dual credential programs where you earn both a special ed and a single subject. You would need to show subject matter competency for the single subject. This may be done through undergraduate coursework - for instance if you were an english major. It is also possible depending on where you are to show competency though exam - pass the CSET in your area. There is still graduate coursework you need to do and also clinical practice - actually teaching/student teaching/internships, etc.
The other thing to keep in mind when specializing is job prospects. What is possible in your geographic area? Would you have to move. Just having a credential does not guarantee any job.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Novice

Midwest USA
Special Education Teacher
I have Cross Categorical certification, and i quickly found a job.....
Old 11-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Fanatic

Illinois
I think many schools only now offer a cross cat certificate. Districts (at least mine) are moving far away from having specific rooms for specific categories of disabilities.

If you are cross cat, you can teach ED/EBD, but also you are not limiting yourself to that.

I would check into state and district specific requirements. I'd speak to the HR departments near your district and ask.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Comrade

My state is bringing back cross cat next year. However, it will require a specialization within like 2-3 years of completion to keep from voiding.

Cross cat will have the most jobs.

EBD will have the most specific jobs.

In my state, you cannot teach severe/profound students without the specialty. (Waivers and high need situations aside.)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Aficionado

New Jersey, US
Looking for a job
Quote:
Originally Posted by frtrd View Post
Ooh, thank you, that is very helpful

Also, would you happen to know whether special ed teachers are certified to teach regular classes? Could I apply for both non-special ed and special-ed high school positions?
It all depends on your state

In NJ, nobody can just get a sped cert anymore

You have to be qualified to teach another subject (elementary, specific subject middle school, specific subject high school, art, etc.)

Tags
cert, sped, type