A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Any Teachers who are Servicemen or Servicewomen?

I'm thinking into the future, so it's not immediate for me, but I may get another degree in the future. Because of the extreme costs of tuition these days, I'm looking seriously into other options to pay for it, apart from just saving a portion of my paycheck each month (which I am doing already) including enlisting in a reserve branch of the military (again this would be a few years into the future, definitely not now).

While working in the National Guard probably won't pay for all of it, it will pay a certain amount, however you may be called up for active duty for 8 years after you enroll, so I'm wondering if there's any conflicts with the districts in these cases.

Anyone who has worked in a branch of the reserve military while being a teacher? Any ideas of what types of benefits being a teacher might bring to your service or vice-versa?

Old 11-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
A better question would be ...how committed are you to the defense/missions of our country?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Comrade

It's all risk vs. reward really. What are you wiling to sacrifice in order to lower your tuition burden?

(edit) Just think it through. It's a big commitment.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Guru

My sister joined for college purposes. She seems happy with her decision. Of course, as cza mentioned, you can't go into this without a sincere commitment to the service itself. Either you won't survive or you'll be miserable and bitter.

I've had colleagues, teachers and administrators, currently serving in the NG. I think it was a powerful thing for the students to know/understand.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Devotee

New York
MS Math&Theatre, Community Theatre
Yeah... I'd never do that, ever.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Companion

Texas
9th Grade World Geography
I think it might help you. A variety of experiences only enhances your perspective. The military will also enhance your discipline from all three sides: accepting it, imposing it, and exercising self-discipline.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
DH is a Naval Academy grad...he saw it as a way to go to college, but he fully understood and respected the commitment he was entering. He made a distinguished career for himself, is a decorated war veteran and retired at an early age with a pension.This should NOT be about anyone else's experiences with or feelings about the military...just make an informed decision for yourself.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast

California
Working Class Teacher
Wait, so you are already a full-time teacher and you want to join the reserves in order to finance another degree? Will you go in as an officer or enlisted?

I was a reservist for the first seven years of my teaching career.

It was not fun at all. After teaching all week, your ENTIRE weekend gets taken up and you go back to teaching. I could not wait until I had my 20 years and retired. I do not miss it.

When I was in, my school district was quite understandable however, I never had to take much time off because most of what I did was when we were off or during weekends.

The being a reservist was great when I was in college and did not really have a full time job. But once I had a full time job, it got old really fast. I think you can make more money doing something else during the summer.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Aficionado

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Wait, so you are already a full-time teacher and you want to join the reserves in order to finance another degree? Will you go in as an officer or enlisted?

I was a reservist for the first seven years of my teaching career.

It was not fun at all. After teaching all week, your ENTIRE weekend gets taken up and you go back to teaching. I could not wait until I had my 20 years and retired. I do not miss it.

When I was in, my school district was quite understandable however, I never had to take much time off because most of what I did was when we were off or during weekends.

The being a reservist was great when I was in college and did not really have a full time job. But once I had a full time job, it got old really fast. I think you can make more money doing something else during the summer.
Perhaps, but I'm plumb out of ideas about what I could do that would make enough money. Tuition is DARN expensive these days and finding jobs for just the summer is pretty tough. Especially ones that really pay anything.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Devotee

New York
MS Math&Theatre, Community Theatre
Financial aid? Loans? Scholarships? Grants?

Tags
servicemen, servicewomen, teachers