A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Behavior Management

Old 11-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Novice

stricter or more fun?

As we started the second quarter here, one of my classes has gotten out of control. They won't stop talking, they show very little respect, and some refuse to do their work. This is partially my fault - they were a little chatty at the start of the year and I didn't do much about it, and now they are out of control.

Lately, I've been much stricter and things are getting worse as they like to argue about the (very fair) consequences for their actions- should I try being nicer/playing games to try to win back their respect or stick with being strict? Thanks!

Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
You're not going to win back their respect with being nice and play games. They might like your classes a bit more because they don't have to do as much work, or because you don't make them do things, but that's not what you want. They won't respect you and you won't be able to control them.

You gotta be strict and enforce rules and give out consequences fairly and consistently.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-6 Sped Resource Teacher
I usually talk about how I can only do more games/hands on activities when students are listening and being respectful, so their actions determine what we do in class. Sometimes I'll even give two choices and tell them which one we do depends on their behavior. For example, math is at the very end of the day. So I tell students that depending on how their behavior is during the lesson, we'll either play a fact game for the last 10 minutes or we'll do extra workbook practice. Of course the key is to actually make them do the workbook practice if they're not behaving! It's not a perfect system, because sometimes we need to do the workbook just for practice and I don't want it to feel like punishment, but I have found that in general it works for my VERY chatty class.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Companion

Texas
9th Grade World Geography
I agree. The more natural you can make the consequences, the faster they'll realize that their own behavior is causing their discomfort. Your main challenge is to be as consistent as gravity - the number one natural consequence.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Groupie

Costa Rica
Science
You can be fun and play games, but be strict with it. Never argue with children. You're the rule. The end. They have a problem with it, they can talk to the director of the school.

Plan to play a game or activity one day. As soon as they mess up, put them to a silent writing assignment. Say you will continue to teach this way until they learn when is appropriate to talk.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Cohort

New York
Facilitator
Yep. Stick with strict but fair. You can always loosen up but you can only tighten down with difficulty.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfall View Post
I usually talk about how I can only do more games/hands on activities when students are listening and being respectful, so their actions determine what we do in class. Sometimes I'll even give two choices and tell them which one we do depends on their behavior. For example, math is at the very end of the day. So I tell students that depending on how their behavior is during the lesson, we'll either play a fact game for the last 10 minutes or we'll do extra workbook practice. Of course the key is to actually make them do the workbook practice if they're not behaving! It's not a perfect system, because sometimes we need to do the workbook just for practice and I don't want it to feel like punishment, but I have found that in general it works for my VERY chatty class.
I have tried this a few times when they ask why we never play games - I tell them we have a certain amount of work to get through for the day, and if we finish we can play a game, but we still havent been able to get through it all.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Novice

Thanks everyone - staying strict was what I was thinking, but their behavior wasnt getting better so I was just curious if I was on the right path.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Enthusiast

1st Grade Teacher
Are you teaching bell to bell? I find my days go a lot better when everyone is BUSY and engaged in meaningful tasks... they don't have time to argue or find trouble!!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 AM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
Here's an idea.

Reduce the tasks slightly. Just enough to where you are sure they can complete it successfully. Write the agenda on the board. Talk to them about having time for a fun activity at the end if we are to finish all these activities. Throughout the class period say things like, "Jasmine is on task." "I see people are working hard. I think we might just have time today if we continue at this pace." "I like the way group A is focused." Walk the room, use proximity and support to help them stay focused. Most importantly, when they do complete a task, go I the board and check it off and take a second to tell them they are moving along really well and if they keep this up, it looks like we might have time for that extra activity today." Keep checking off the activities throughout class. Keep up this talk but not so much they can't hear their own thinking. Show your optimism and notice their successes. Then when they meet the goal, tell them this is exactly what you want to see everyday. See how much more they accomplished! Fantastic work class! Now let's play xyz game.

If they miss it, tell them what you saw that was positive and one thing that might help if they work on it next time but that you have faith that they are getting better at it. Keep the check mark system. Once they do make it for a bit (several days) gradually increase it by one task at a time. Properly done, it shouldn't take long. Then keep the momentum going for awhile.

Tags
fun, stricter