A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
Balancing teacher and student work

Woohoo! I've just been accepted into an M.Ed. program for Curriculum and Instruction! Happy dance! I'll be taking two classes a semester (including summers) for the next two years and earn a Teacher Leader endorsement.

Um, what do I do now? I'm in my fifth year of teaching and have finally gotten the time management down to a science. Now I'm going to have to be much more artful. I'm sure a lot of you have been down this road. How do you handle the workload? How has your home life fared through the process? Am I completely INSANE?

Old 11-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Congrats!

You find a way. When I completed my masters, I was taking a new class every 5 weeks. It was all about keeping a large schedule with when assignments needed to be completed. I also ordered my texts on tape so that I could listen to them on my drive everyday (this may not be as helpful for you).

My husband and I did well...but I did most of my school work when he was working, so he wouldn't have even really noticed.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Aficionado

Kentucky
Middle School Teacher
I did my masters while teaching multiple classes. I did all my teacher work in the evenings at home, and I did all of my grad school work on the weekends.

I had to do my teacher work at home since I didn't have a classroom. I didn't have any place to work, and the school didn't have lounge with workspace.

I had to make time on weekends to go to the university. When I had research to do since i got my degree pre-internet. My classes met one night a week on campus from 6:00-9:00, and I took one or two classes a semester.

I was in the English department, so my homework was all writing papers and reading books.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
The saving grace I have is that I'm taking my classes online BUT can drive to the campus if need be. It's going to be interesting seeing distance learning from the student POV. The time management is what worries me. I've already warned my theater company that I am not going to be as available as I have been in the past, but the students in my writing club are clamoring for more attention and meetings for them. Yikes!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Enthusiast

Ohio
Middle/High School English
Cat, where are you taking your classes at? You can PM me if you want. I'm exploring programs right now.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Companion

Special Education Teacher
One thing that I did was to put my deadlines and due dates on my calendar at the beginning of the semester. I use Google calendar so I would also set it to send reminders a few days in advance. Knowing what was coming helped me to keep organized. Good luck! It is hard to juggle, but so worth it in the end!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
K1teach - Using Google Calendar is an excellent idea.
dgpiaffeteach - I sent you a PM. It would be funny if we wound up in the same program.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Fanatic

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
You are not insane! I applaud you for taking on the challenge to try to push yourself forward in your education! Yes you will need to be more artful, but luckily, most M.Ed programs are designed to fit the schedules of working teachers.

A system I learned is to have a master calendar, whether it be a desk calendar or a Google Calendar. Keep a piece of paper or a small notebook with you each day, and write down your schedule for that day at the top of the page. At the bottom of the page, add new things that you have to remember to add to your calendar later on.

Then every morning, take out yesterdays paper, drag the things you didn't finish the day before to a new day, and put in the new things into you have into the master calendar, and then write the paper agenda for that day. All it all, it should only take 5 to 10 minutes a day to do this time management.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
My novio is currently working full time (plus Saturdays) and is taking 3 classes in university. He is in engineering and has TONS of homework. He is always working on his homework. He gets it done, but it's not a joy ride for sure.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Cohort

NY
Good luck with your studies.

Tags
balancing, student, teacher, work