A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 11-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Companion

Letter Of Interest Help!

Hey guys!

I'm a building sub right now. There is a LTS available in the school, and the P told me to submit a letter of interest. Just wondering if you all have any advice on what specifically to include. I feel that it should be different than a my regular cover letter, as he has received that before and it's on file (since I interviewed and was hired there as a building sub). I really want to get it done ASAP (ideally hand it in tomorrow) and I'd love some input on what you think!

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
What have you got so far?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Companion

What I have so far:

Dear P,

It is with hope and determination that I am writing to ask for your consideration for the fourth grade long-term substitute position that has become available. My experience in ABC Elementary School and prior have made me confident that I would be able to seamlessly step into the role of classroom teacher.

As a long-term substitute, it will be my goal to continue to provide the students with an environment where they can succeed and feel secure and confident in themselves. Having experience in fourth-grade, both in student teaching and as a long-term substitute, will aid me in my efforts to help all students move forward.

Over the past few months at ABC Elementary School, I have continued to grow as a teacher. My classroom management skills have continued to improve, and I feel assured in my ability to run a classroom. I have also been fortunate to develop relationships with students and teachers of all grade levels and integrate myself into the school community. Perhaps the thing I have grown from most over the months has been jumping into and learning many different roles throughout the school.

I am certain that I am an excellent candidate for this position, and if given the opportunity I will work my hardest to meet the ABC mission and give my students the best I have to offer.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
It's pretty generic, Enseignante.

What do you think fourth graders need in a long-term sub? What do you think THESE fourth graders need? What does the teacher need, and what would the administration like to see?

Is the teacher in question coming back later in the year?

In your letter, feel free to name the teacher (though you might not want to here on A to Z) and to allude to nifty things she's done with her students
Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Companion

Thanks groupie.

My cover letter has a lot more examples and such. I'm just unsure of what to do here because he already has that letter, and I don't want to just talk about my experience because, again, he has that, he knows that. The teacher is not coming back, its until the end of the year. Ugh, I'm so stuck!

I'm going to try to think about what they will need when she leaves I guess. She is a very firm, organized teacher with high expectations from what I've seen (which I think is great and I think I can continue) I'll just try to include how I can do that...
Old 11-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
There you go: like that.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Companion

I'm sure it's not there yet, and I'm worried it's too long, but how about this. (I guess the only good thing is, I know he'll read my letter so length may not be as huge of an issue):

Dear P,

It is with hope and determination that I am writing to ask for your consideration for the fourth grade long-term substitute position that has become available. My experiences in ABC Elementary and prior have made me confident that I am able to seamlessly step into the role of classroom teacher.

As the long-term substitute stepping in for Mrs. Blank, it would be my goal to keep the students on the same path of progress they are on currently and to aid each student in achieving their personal best. With help from my previous experience in fourth grade, I would continue to give the students the high expectations and sense of community that I know already exists in this classroom. I know I have the ability to guide the students of room --- to continued success. Having been in Mrs. Blank's class, I know how her classroom is run, I am very familiar with the students, and I know she expects the best out of everyone. I can provide a consistent environment upon her exit.

Over the past few months in ABC Elementary School, I have developed relationships with teachers, support staff, and students, and I have integrated myself into the school community. Mrs. Blank's class in particular is one that I have worked with several times, both in her classroom and in different specials. I already have a good report built with these students. I have even taught all of the learning support students of this classroom in Mrs. R's class.

My experiences over this time have helped me grow as a teacher, especially the time I have spent in learning support and special education classrooms throughout the school. Perhaps what I have most grown from has been jumping into many roles in the school and viewing the school day through various lenses. Because of this, I am certain that I could provide a strong, caring, successful and consistent classroom environment for the students of room ---.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
The first sentence is wordier than you need. Keep it straightforward: "I would like to be considered for the long-term substitute position in Mrs. Blank's fourth grade class." Make the next sentence and the rest of the letter more specific by focusing on the grade and the students: remember, you're selling yourself as the answer for THIS class.

One classic way to brainstorm this is to think of several needs of fourth graders in general and these fourth graders in particular (for the latter, hint: they're losing their teacher, poor babies). Choose the two to four points that you expect to resonate most with the principal and whoever else is in on the hiring, then explain point by point how you are equipped or positioned to meet those needs - and, yes, this definitely includes that the kids already know you. Don't be shy in the real letter about dropping a name or two in the course of illustrating yourself in action with these tads. Your relationships elsewhere in the school can certainly be mentioned, but they're not the main focus.

Makes sense, yes?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Companion

thoughts on this? Thanks for your input so far btw!

Dear P,

I am writing to ask for your consideration for the long-term substitute positions in Mrs. Blank's fourth grade classroom. My experiences in ABC Elementary and prior make me confident that I can seamlessly step into the role of classroom teacher and guide the students of room --- to success.

Stepping in for Blank, it would be my goal to keep the students on the path that has been laid out for them in their classroom. From my time in her classroom, I know that Mrs. Blank expects the best of everyone, has high expectations, and has created a strong sense of community within the room. These students will be going through a big change upon her exit. I have experience as a long-term substitute, I am comfortable with the classroom routines, and I already have a good rapport with the students. Because of this, I know I could minimize the effects of the change by providing a consistent classroom environment and maintaining Mrs. Blank’s high expectations.

Mrs. Blank will be leaving around the time students will be preparing for PSSAs. They will need someone to step in who has experience readying students for these tests. In both my student teaching and and six-month last year as a fourth grade teacher, I have prepared fourth graders for reading, math, and science PSSAs. I would provide the students with meaningful and differentiated learning experiences to help them grow as learners and prepare for testing.

I know Mrs. Blank has great parent communication as well, as I have seen from the weekly newsletters that she sends home. This is something I implemented in my classroom during my position last year and would eagerly continue. With the change of teacher, the students room --- will need someone who can keep an open flow of communication between home and school for an easier transition.

My experiences so far at ABC Elementary School and the relationships I have developed have helped me grow as a teacher and as a person, especially in the time spent in special education classrooms throughout the school. Taking on such various roles in the school has enabled me to develop positive working relationships with so many of the staff members, while also learning so much about the students. Because of this, I am certain that I could provide a strong, caring, successful, and consistent classroom environment for the students of room ---.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:43 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
It's still sounding rather generic, the vocabulary's a bit simplistic ("a big change"??), and organization within paragraphs is giving you some grief (your second paragraph begins with you as solution, describes Mrs. Blank, notes the change students will go through, then returns to you as solution; if you start with the students' need, I think it will work better).

Tags
interest, letter