A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
SHOOT! What would you do?

I am working on report cards, and I seem to have misplaced unit 1 math tests for 3 students. I shared the tests with parents at conferences last month, and I'm thinking I may have accidentally sent them home with these 3 parents. I did not record the grades, and this is the only math grade students will have on this report card. I cannot remember if each student received a 3 or a 4.

What would you do?

Old 11-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
Ouch. You know they either got a 3 or 4? How substantial is the grade difference if they have either of those or you drop the grade completely?

I had to not count an essay for one student whose paper I couldn't find. My master teacher was of the belief that he didn't turn it in, but I wasn't so sure. I'd ask the kids if they remember their scores, if not, I'd just drop it.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
Maybe you could not count it for them. That's the only thing I can think of. Do you remember if their grades were especially good or especially bad?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Rookie

MA
2nd Grade Teacher
When I complete report cards, I rely more on my own observations of the students during math time each day. Then, if I'm unsure of what to put, I usually refer to the test as a second source of information. How do these students do during math? You must have some idea...
Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
Ask the kids if they remember their grade.

If they don't I'd just give them a 4.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi193 View Post
When I complete report cards, I rely more on my own observations of the students during math time each day. Then, if I'm unsure of what to put, I usually refer to the test as a second source of information. How do these students do during math? You must have some idea...
The only problem is, I showed the grade to the parents at conferences, and said, "They got a ___ on the test. This will be their only grade for math on this report card." So, if I put a 3, and they got a 4, the parents would probably remember.

I honestly can't remember, because most children got a 3 or a 4. A few received a 2, which I know off the top of my head. Most of the 3's and 4's I can't remember. These 3 students tend to do pretty well, but I can't remember just how well they did. I am going to try to see if the kids remember, and if they don't, maybe I'll just do a 3, I guess. If the parents say something, I can just say that I made a mistake, apologize, and change it.

I don't know what else to do! In 5 years I have never lost a grade or test, so I'm sure I sent them home on accident. I am very organized, and keep everything together. How frustrating, though!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Connoisseur

MA
High School Math Teacher
I would email the parents to ask if they have the test.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I would quickly reassess the students to see if they have the content mastered.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Multitudinous

I would call the parents and ask if they have the test. If that didn't work, I'd reassess (if I had time) or I'd excuse the assignment (if I didn't have time).

Out of curiosity, is it standard practice at your school to have only one assessment per subject per marking period? It doesn't seem like you'd get an accurate representation of the student's mastery with only one assessment.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
I would call the parents and ask if they have the test. If that didn't work, I'd reassess (if I had time) or I'd excuse the assignment (if I didn't have time).

Out of curiosity, is it standard practice at your school to have only one assessment per subject per marking period? It doesn't seem like you'd get an accurate representation of the student's mastery with only one assessment.
I love that idea, thanks!

We follow the Math Expressions curriculum as a baseline, and it contains a pacing guide. We completed unit 1, and are testing for unit 2 this week (the quarter ended last Friday). Unit 1 covered and assessed only story problems, so the first quarter will have only 1 grade. I believe we have about 15 CCSS that are being assessed for math this year. Unit 1 is just really long. We also re-assess students who did not get a 4 each quarter.

I should also add that math is the only subject that has one grade this quarter. We're assessing 4 reading benchmarks, and 5 writing benchmarks, for example.

Tags
shoot