A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 11-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Comrade

Tennessee
7th Grade Science
Rejected by Teach for America

Of course, much like in an interview with a regular school district, there is no reason provided. I know I had an excellent presentation using information that I would teach in my own classroom, so that couldn't be it. Very frustrating that someone who has already earned their undergrad, has a teacher license already, proven experience with student teaching and substitute teaching, and still can't work with Teach for America.

Unfortunately this comes after having an interview for my own classroom yesterday where I felt my time was completely wasted. The teacher I would replace was a coach, I am not a coach. Come to find out today that the districts have to interview a certain number of people and I suppose I was a good "no" to interview for that position. While it is great that I am in my current interim position, I really would love my own classroom to do what I want with and not worry that I am impacting the evaluation information for another teacher.

I'll keep looking though. If anything, my interim assignment has proven that I really love teaching and using my creativity to reach a variety of students. Each day is like a puzzle, how will you work with that student who is tough to reach, what classroom management skills will help the talkative class of 33 stop talking, etc. Yes, I have a class of 33 students, in a portable!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Rookie

CT
Soon to be 7-12 English Teacher
i think you are in great shape. you have your foot in the door and doing what you love! Oh well, TFA, your loss!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Connoisseur

CA.
1st Grade Teacher
I thought TFA did not take in credentialed teachers at all.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Comrade

Tennessee
7th Grade Science
I have read that others knew people who were credentialed who were accepted to the program, so I figured that would be a great way for me to get my foot in the door in the Nashville school system. They took me through to the in person interview, so I'm thinking if they didn't accept licensed teachers, they would not have allowed me to go that far.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Aficionado

USA
I didn't think they accepted credentialed teachers either, but you're right - if they passed you through to that round you'd think they would.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
I made it to the final round too and was also denied. Life goes on!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Comrade

TFA is nothing but a scam anyway, so you are better off not working for them.

There is nothing on the TFA site that says certified teachers are disqualified, but I suspect it is considered a negative. After all, only those who are "born" to teach are better than those who actually did the grunt work and got certified. Teaching is so easy anybody can do it; what is necessary is teachers must be "experts" in their subject area. It isn't important to be a professional trained in traditional teacher education programs. That is the philosophy behind this and other "reforms" which are nothing but scams to rip off taxpayers for profit.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
TFA is nothing but a scam anyway, so you are better off not working for them.

There is nothing on the TFA site that says certified teachers are disqualified, but I suspect it is considered a negative. After all, only those who are "born" to teach are better than those who actually did the grunt work and got certified. Teaching is so easy anybody can do it; what is necessary is teachers must be "experts" in their subject area. It isn't important to be a professional trained in traditional teacher education programs. That is the philosophy behind this and other "reforms" which are nothing but scams to rip off taxpayers for profit.
I think you raise a few good points about TfA, but I'd disagree with you that it's a "scam" - I think there are problems, but there are strengths to the organization as well, such as their very good pre- and in-service training. While I would agree that it's woefully short and insufficient, what IS provided tends to be very good.

There is also data to suggest that TfA teachers do well, indicating that perhaps university training isn't the only pathway to becoming a teacher. Personally, I think these data say more about the poor performance of the comparison group (i.e., other non-TfA teachers in the school) as opposed to the relative strength of TfA folks, but still - the data are there.

I'd also question your assumption in your last sentence - that "this" philosophy (not requiring rigorous preparation) is the basis for all other reforms, or that all other reforms are "scams" or wastes of taxpayer dollars? Could you be more specific in your accusations?

Tags
america, rejected, teach