A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 10-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Companion

Free websites with nonfiction articles?

Does anyone know of any FREE websites to get quick nonfiction articles on a variety of topics that are geared towards preteens/teens (and different levels would be nice too)?

While I'm at it, I'm going to ask another question... Is this common--My district has a heavy push for nonfiction, like 70% nonfiction and 30% fiction and has no textbooks for reading. Is it like that at your district with so much nonfiction? I used to do lit. circles, and I'm not even sure about bringing out novels because I don't want to be questioned. The district is saying that if the kids can read nonfiction, then they can read fiction, but not the other way around. Do you think this is true? I'm going crazy always trying to find articles that relate to each other on the same topic and that are high interest for my two co-teaching classes. I'm also going crazy making so many copies all the time. It's serious paper overload in my classroom and every classroom I go into. I need a way to organize all my stuff. Anyway, if I find a website where I can print things quickly, that would save me so much time, so that was my main question.

Would edhelper be worth it to get with their nonfiction?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
The push for nonfiction reading is most likely tied to the adoption of Common Core standards.
Some links for articles at this site:

http://www.greece.k12.ny.us/webpages...?subpage=25224
Old 10-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Companion

I know it is because of CC, but is fiction almost banned in other schools now? It's almost an evil word here. I think my district is going a little too heavy on it.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
I think that is sad. Fiction teaches students so much. It causes them to solve problems, and fiction often has the life-long messages that we want to get through to children. Sorry, but Charlotte's Web, Shiloh, Bridge to Terabithia, and Hatchet should always have a place in our schools.

Non-Fiction is also great, but does not substitute for stories that reach right into a child's imagination, heart, and soul.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
The district is saying that if the kids can read nonfiction, then they can read fiction, but not the other way around. Do you think this is true?

No, that is not true. The figurative language, idioms, and other parts that are in fiction books are usually not in non-fiction books.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Nonfiction can, and good nonfiction certainly does, include figurative language, idioms, and the like. I think the move to more nonfiction in the classroom is motivated by two problems: first, nonfiction outside of textbooks WAS being slighted in elementary school (and there are many, many more genres of nonfiction than simply textbooks); second, older kids weren't transferring their fiction-reading skills to the nonfiction that they were encountering in departmentalized classes, and the teachers in those classes often aren't particularly qualified to teach reading per se in their disciplines.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:28 AM
Comrade

Forever First
You can try readworks.org - It has free nonfiction passages for grades k-7. You have to subscribe but it's free. They also have reading lessons to go with each passage.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:42 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Try http://www.timeforkids.com/ or www.natgeokids.com
Old 10-19-2012, 04:47 AM
Comrade

I teach second grade. I usually find my high performing students can read (decode) anything up to about a 4th or 5th grade level. They can comprehend the fiction, but not the nonfiction. Usually their comprehension level of nonfiction is a beginning to mid year second grade level. That is a huge difference that surprises me every year! Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:59 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I've used some of these with my sixth graders before: http://kellygallagher.org/resources/articles.html

We are having a similar push for less fiction in our school. We are given permission to use two novels a year and about 4 short stories a quarter (so maybe 16 all year). We also have little resources for our late elementary and middle school students.

Tags
articles, free, nonfiction, websites