A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 10-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I Really Cannot Stand My Neighbors

Most of my neighbors are really nice. But there's this one family across the street...ugh!

It's a woman and her two grown kids (probably early 20's) and one of them has a kid that's about 5 years old. They come and go at all hours, which would be fine, but the music in the cars that drop them off is blaring at 3 am or they will be banging on the door to get in (they have these security gates which is really unusual for this area). Once I was really startled in the middle of the night, they were banging so loudly, it sounded like it was my door. And don't get me started on that kid. He's always out running around even as late as 11 pm. He has shouted the b-word across the street, he has toy guns that he aims and shoots at me (which his mother thinks is hilarious by the way). The other day he was up in the bed of the truck just beating some stuffed animals to pulp-he kept throwing it out of the truck and climbing back up-so unsafe.

A few weeks ago my dog and I were sitting outside in our yard and a truck pulls up right in front of us. Now my dog is on always on a leash, she is usually really good, but when he got out of the car, he slid across the hood and she's never seen anyone do that before-- she started barking. He says "ma'am, do you have that dog?" and I said yes, that I had her. I told her to stop barking and she did. His friend in the truck says "want me to take care of that mutt for you" and had his finger pointed up like a gun.

Tonight I was walking her in my yard and the ATT guy walks up trying to sell me something. I'm telling him I'm not interested-she barks, which I'm sorry, is her job-there's a strange man coming toward us in her yard. They yell from across the street "control that dog!". As soon as I told her to sit, she did, she even laid down while the man was talking. I really wanted to yell back "I'll control my dog, when you start controlling your kid".

It's awful to be afraid to go out in your own front yard depending on who is home across the street.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Ugh.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
That sounds awful
Old 10-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Fanatic

Michigan
How awful. My next door neighbors always let their son play in the bed of the truck or even in the truck when he was little.

The neighbors across the street are a trip. They use to yell something awful. The boy got suspended for taking a knife to school. He use to come home from work drunk driving his truck. He'd sometimes run into whatever car of their's that was parked on the street. When the kids got into high school it got much better. Then he stopped working.

On the plus side, he taught my daughter how to ride her bike. Of course, he was 3 sheets to the wind that day.

Neighbors. . .
Old 10-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Cohort

Adjacent To Your House
HS Senior
Wow....
Old 10-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Comrade

I'm sorry you're having to deal with such creeps.

Sadly, I wouldn't confront them like you want to - they sound like they have a few loose screws.

Make sure you ignore any attempts they make for conversation unless it is vital. When they ask you to "control your dog" when you clearly have her under control, ignore them - do not acknowledge them in any way.

When you hear loud banging that scares you awake at 3am, call the cops. It's your right, plus they'll get the idea pretty quick that yelling and screaming at all times of the night isn't acceptable.

Also, I don't like the sound of it. It really comes off like they have no problem intimidating you. Two grown men threatening your dog, and in a sense, talking down to you...trouble. I don't like it.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2770 View Post
Sadly, I wouldn't confront them like you want to - they sound like they have a few loose screws.

Make sure you ignore any attempts they make for conversation unless it is vital.
Oh believe me, I would never actually say anything to them. I can just imagine what would happen then. I do ignore it-it's just annoying.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Ugh. Just reading that made my head hurt. This is one reason, sadly, why I don't really want to buy another house. I own two right now. The first one I bought in a neighborhood where all good neightbors moved out and were filled with neighbors like yours (many even worse....). The second house I bought is in a nice neighborhood. There was a family kind of like yours at the end of the cul-de-sac. They ended up getting evicted or something like that. They threw this huge party and were gone the next day or so. Good riddance.

I'm renting the second house out to my parents. The first one I'm renting through a property management company.

Right now, hubby and I are living in an apartment. This is my first time living in an apartment since I graduated from college back in 2005. And frankly, I love it. It's nice to not be stuck in one location. If I get tired of neightbors or location, it's nice to know that I can just up and leave.

Sigh... sad, though. Sorry you have to deal with those types of people.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP & 2 Other Jobs
What an unpleasant situation! I just hate unruly kids who are running around all over the place! Thank God I don't really come across any.

Any chance that you'll move anytime soon? (Not to say that they should run you away.)

I've lived in my apt complex for 4.5 mos now & surprisingly, it's still as wonderful as when I moved in. I hardly see any kids around period. My closest neighbors have 2 or 3 little kids & they could easily have them running all around, riding their tricyles all in front of my door that's only a few feet from their front door, but thank God they keep their kids indoors at all times!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Fanatic

California
8th Grade Science Teacher
That sounds horrible. I'm sorry about that.

Tags
neighbors, stand