A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Cohort

Texas
Planning a return to teaching after staying home

Hi. I used to teach first grade and quit to stay home with my girls. My youngest will be starting kinder next year. I've been home since 2007, so not tooooo long but still.

I'm in the process of getting some contacts, making old connections etc and putting together a resume. A sweet friend let me look at hers and she has a good deal of professional development listed. Now, sadly, I didn't keep up with everything I used to do. I was that dork who took every opportunity to go to a workshop to learn but either I can't recall them all or it's been a LONG time since attending one.

Is that something that I still need on a resume with someone who has not been IN the classroom for 5 years?

Would community service things be acceptable to add. I'm a girl scout co leader (I know I know, ) and I volunteered with children at my church for three years. I am also a preschool teacher (part time) right now. But as far as teaching goes I obviously haven't done much because I stay home.

I'm very confident in my ability to speak well at an interview and I know I'd do a great job IN the classroom. But I need my resume to look good.

Any advice?
Thanks in advance

Old 10-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Welcome!

It's hard now to get into (or back in) the teaching field. However, it sounds like you are doing the right things to find your way back into the classroom. If you can, try to volunteer in your older child's classroom so that you can get known in the school and district.

I don't think that you need to have professional development on your resume. It's nice if you can remember the organizations that you belonged to and classes you took as it might get your resume looked at, but you can craft a good resume without it.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Groupie

Pennsylvania
I was away for much longer than you have been and I landed the perfect position for me. I subbed on Fridays for a while until finally quitting the part time job that was helping the pay the bills. That enabled me to get a LTS job which led to my current position. I really feel that the LTS job was key for me. I got some current professional development from that district and also online from the state DOE.
Some advice: keep on trying! I knew that it would be hard to get a job, but I also knew I'd be able to do it! I heard some negativity from principals who seemed to have something against me simply because they did not choose to stay home with children. Best of luck and hang in there!

Tags
home, planning, return, staying, teaching