A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 01-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Novice

WI
Teacher
Lesson Plan for Observation, help please?

Hi there,

I am getting ready to have my 3rd observation as a probationary 2nd year teacher. My first 2 observations of this year were unannounced visits. The first one went pretty well, but the second one was not so good. My principal (who is in her 1st year as a principal) continually stated that I needed to incorportate more "curricular elements that are aligned to the state standards" in my routines and lessons. I asked her to be more specific about her expectations, what I needed to change/add, etc. and never got a straight answer. Since then, she has made comments to other teachers about me having a "hard time", which really upsets me because I do not feel like I'm having a "hard time". Anyway, I really, really want this evaluation to go well and hopefully disprove the inaccurate opinions that my principal has developed about me.

So, to the point, I would appreciate any ideas for a Fairy Tale lesson that would be especially good for an "evaluation" lesson. Thank you, thank you!

Old 01-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
I am not sure what she means by curricular elements, but I suspect it is somehow related to integrating math, science, literacy, etc. into the theme.

So, if your fairy tale is the Three Little Pigs, you need to relate curriulum to the theme. Have your webbed? That is, draw a circle with your theme in the middle. Now, draw spokes (like a child would do when drawing a sun in the sky). Label your spokes with the elements that you need to include. Lable one spoke math, one science, ets. Above the math spoke, you will list all the math concepts that you will teach related to your fairly tale, in this case, Three Little Pigs. The math concepts I think of are: sets; matching, counting, sequencing.

Above the science spoke I would list: building houses; wood-brick-straw

Hope this gives you some basis for starting.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
How did it go?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Novice

WI
Teacher
I haven't done it yet. I can choose anytime between now and Feb. 15. I'm still unsure what I'm going to do, it's just hard to kind of know that you're going to be wrong no matter what you do. I already plan my units in the way that you suggested (but thanks for the post!), and I can't really understand what else she wants me to do. I'm sorry for the vagueness of my posts, I'm just feeling really frustrated and unhappy.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
I am concerned about you .

Can you go to your principal and ask for some guidance? May she could recommend a classroom to observe that she likes. You need to understand what she is looking for before you can give her what she wants.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Novice

Illinois
I would make sure that you simply make sure all or most of the kids are involved/engaged in the lesson. If you are reading a fairy tale, be sure to ask questions such as: 1)what might happen next? 2)what do you notice about this picture? 3)where does the story take place? ETC.

Also, a good idea would be to practice (beforehand or that day) a story such as: The Gingerbread Man where the children can help read the story (they recite the refrain: "Run, run as fast as you can. You can't catch me I'm the Gingerbread Man").

For an activity, the children could draw/create their own version of the Gingerbread Man or draw/retell their favorite part from the story.

Hope my tips helped!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Read your curriculum guide- we can give you all the advice in the world here but your principal is looking for your distirct's standards to be integrated into your lesson. If you're doing language arts, check the guide-then plan on hitting a few of those standards in the lesson (ie: opposites, synonyms, story elements-whatever is in the guide that fits your lesson....) Then if you can bring in some higher order questionning and maybe a cross-curricular piece.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Cohort

Florida
1st Grade Teacher
Hi!

I don't know what Wisconsin's guidelines are, but I have created Daily Math and Daily Literacy Journals for Kindergarten that are aligned with our District, County and Florida State standards. They might help you.

Check them out at: http://www.mrsmikesell.com

Good luck!!

Kelly

Tags
lesson, observation, plan