A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 09-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Newcomer

New York
Elementary School Furniture

Hello everyone,

I am posting a thread in regards to elementary school furniture. I am a current student at Pratt Institute (Brooklyn NY) and studying industrial design.

For my senior thesis, I wanted to work on durable furniture that helps facilitate learning in the classrooms. I've visited a few after school programs(and will visit schools soon) and noticed that they lack a lot of necessary tools because of budget cuts or other financial reasons. I wanted to create simple modular pieces that can be constructed into a desk, chair, bookshelf, and cubby holes according to the number of students and needs for a class. I will also be doing a lot of material research to make sure that it will last longer to save money and be better for the environment.

The reason I am posting a thread is to ask for any complaints or relative experiences they have had in their classrooms so that I can incorporate it into my design. I am currently going to visit local schools, but obviously not every school is going to be the same. Please let me know if there is anything I am missing, and some feedback on the idea.

Thanks and have a great day.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
Think about the weight of the objects if they are going to serve multi-purposes. Also can they grow with students?
Old 09-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
Adjustable things are great!

Also, things that can't get easily scratched/broken/destroyed.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:49 AM
Habitué

Substitute Teacher
Agree about adjustable. One class can have kids of many sizes and body types. Also, things the kids can safely move on their own.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Groupie

Wisconsin
Primary Elementary Teacher
Washable
Fadeless (always look as good as new)
Soundless (My desk tops slam and lockers bang)
Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Connoisseur

AZ
5th Grade Teacher
I would love to change the furniture in schools. There is lots of room for improvement in this area.

1. I would create desks/tables that have compartments to organize things. A special desk that would organize these things would be such a help.

2. If anyone looks at most schools, you will notice the adults are the ones choosing the furniture, although the students actually use it. Students want much more interesting and fun furniture. How about having a table shaped in the shape of the United States or some other area? How about bright colors that students like for tables and desks. Too many are blah! Those are some ideas.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Connoisseur

New York
3rd Grade Teacher
Stools/seats that allow students to move or have some sort of kinesthetic activity while they work.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Cohort

NY
Great ideas everyone.

I think the most important is functional. It has to work for the students and teacher. Most furniture is either very stark and rigid, or tries to be too much and often integrity of structure is compromised. Something that works well with the age group and lasts is the most important. It is so frustrating when furniture is broken or does not work properly.

Tags
elementary, furniture, school